BootsnAll Travel Network



The Do’s and Dont’s of Communal Living!

For those of you who haven’t experienced some of the many trials and tribulations of living amongst strangers in a hostel, let me take you on a magical and educational journey to help give you a better understanding and to learn some of the finer points of surviving in this complicated yet fascinating world.

DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING MATERIAL IS RATED “MV” FOR MATURE VIEWING ONLY. THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT WANT TO BE OFFENDED (MOM) MAY BE BETTER OFF WAITING FOR THE NEXT POST!

For me, my first priority when arriving at a hostel is to be as friendly as possible. Here are a few simple ice breakers that can sometimes help bridge the gap between you and those from around the globe:

-Always smile, and when making eye contact, a quick “hello” or “how are you” will most certainly do the trick. Even if you are speaking to someone who doesn’t speak english very well even a simple head nod with a smile will do just fine.

-If the “hello” or “how are you?” works out then perhaps you could round first and head for second with a “where are you from?” or a “where have you been traveling?”

Now certainly there are some things that will most certainly put you in some awkward positions, trust me, i know. Listen carefully as these next few pointers could really be deal breakers.

-When engaging in conversation with a fellow traveler don’t ever, and i mean ever, guess where they are from. Asking a Canadien if they are American will most certainly get you a dirty look. Mistaking an Englishmen for an Aussie will not help either. Better to ask then to guess wrong. A slip-up here will reserve you a seat in the hostel reading guide books while others are out having beers, so i’ve heard!

Now as most of you know I have a wee bit of a sense of humor. It sometimes helps to make a joke or two in the right situation as a laugh between strangers can definitely bring people closer together. Just be careful as some jokes go over like a boner in a speedo. These are some things i might shy away from saying if i were you:

– “So…was that you who absolutely stunk up the bathroom? Oh my god, that was so horrible, what the hell did you eat?” (awkward pause)…”Hi, i’m brian from the U.S.A….(extending hand)…hello?…hello?”

This is another doozy that will get you into trouble.

-“Hey guys…Wow…i’d have to say that vegetable curry did not agree with me…make sure if you go to the bathroom to bring a haz mat suit.”

This next one is pretty much a clincher that you will be an outkast for your entire stay at the hostel. Walking up to a group of people eating dinner at the kitchen table in the hostel and saying this is a very bad idea.

-“Hey…does anyone have any lube that i could borrow.?

Be assured that the person sleeping on the bunk below you will either check out or not get any sleep. McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, etc…those are things that can cross borders, but comments like the ones i’ve mentioned above definitely do not.

Now with communal living comes a lack of privacy. Sharing space, bathrooms, showers etc…with strangers is definitely an adjustment. For those travelers who are lucky enough to engage a person of the opposite sex, (this is purely speculation on my part as i would have no idea what that is like), having a place to “get to know one another” is not always an easy thing to find. Certainly there are dark alley’s in every city but that’s not always the safest. The toilets can also be a place but i’m guessing it’s hard to “get into the mood” in there. So the next best option is the dorm. Every traveler has a story about catching people getting their freak on right in the middle of a 16 bed dorm. Now firstly i will say, it’s not polite to stand next to the bed and stare as this is happening, well…i mean…that’s what i’ve heard, i would never do that. It’s not polite to cheer them on or give pointers. It’s like being at the zoo and seeing a couple of turtles get it on (mark lynch will know what i’m talking about as he was there.) They don’t want people staring, yet you are so fascinated you can’t help it. It’s really just best if you go right to your bed and put your pillow over your head or just go have a beer and come back in 5 minutes.

Well i hope we’ve all learned a little something today. These tips were meant to be helpful and I certainly hope some of you will be able to use them in your future travels. If any of you just learned one thing today, then i’d say i’ve done my job.

Goodnight now!



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “The Do’s and Dont’s of Communal Living!”

  1. pool boy says:

    Why don’t they just go down to the luxury hostel pool and have their eel go splunking in an underwater cave? Of course you can have an audience as well there.

    It sounds like you are playing a role in a bad “Corky’s” movie in Singapore!

  2. Brian,

    Hiliarious stuff. Tell me you weren’t pulling a Peeping Tom at the hostel!?! I know how much you enjoyed the Turtle show

    haaaawaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Did someone actually hit you guys up for lube?!? Classic!!!

    News from the homefront- Sox took two of three last week from the Yankees. Yankees knocked around Schilling and the next night RJ coughed up his lead and the Sox won it late!!! Friday the Sox lost 6-0 in 5 1/2 rain shortened innings. Saturday and Sunday were also Rain Outs. The Merrimack River is over 5 feet ABOVE Flood stage. IT should crest tonight over 60 feet at it’s most shallow point. They are taling about shutting down one of the sewer plants and the drinking water for a couple of days to avoid a contanimation(sp). The new Condos across the street from where the Spinners play have the 1st floor flooded, it’s nuts. Rain for like a week soild. Alysha’s Bridal Shower waws last saturday and we got all kinds of crazy things. Even got a wine fridge and some wines to drink on our 1/5/10 anniversaries. A bunch of cool stuff.

    I’ll keep you posted on other stuff, the Sox have 3 in Baltimore staring tonight and then 3 in Philly (I”m going on Friday and Saturday) and then Monday the Yankees are at home and I’m going to that game as well provided we’re done with SCUBA.

    Late-

    Mark

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *