BootsnAll Travel Network



51: Scary Creatures (1)

Scary Creatures one can find on this Island and I don’t only mean the ones that belong to the animal world though lets stick to that category first 🙂

Not really scary scary but it was a bit of a “spider” exerience if you know what I mean.
The other night I was walking along the beach and noticed fishermen walking through the shallow sea with torches/headlamps lighting up the sea around them. They seemed to look out for some potential seafood they could sell to the local restaurants. I got interested and decided to grab my torch and walk out into the water myself looking for whatever marine life I could find.

At first there was not much, but I guess I was stomping through the water like an elephant scaring every living creature in the water away before I could even get close enough for my torch to find them.
I slowed down a but and walked further out and eventualy I found small, half see-through blueish shimmery fish. To small to get excited about them but soon I found some about other interestig fish in the water. Now fish are not scary so what am I on about. Well soon I found some crabs, first small ones then about hand sized and half hiding under small rocks. They were moving rather sowly but once I must have come too close and one of the bigger ones moved quickly away. It occured to me that I should keep my distance so not to get them pinch my bare toes if they feel like I’m to close 😉 Of course in that moment, relatively close to the crabs I noticed in the corner of my eye something bigger moving in the water. Remember it was pitch black around me apart from my headlamp.. I moved my head to look at whatever it was but as soon as I moved the light the hand sized something suddenly shot towards me ,*meantal scream*. I had not properly seen what it was but it shot right through my legs. Of course I moved (jumped rather) away, trying not to step on the crabs, whirling up enough sand to completely spoil the view through the water. From what I saw I reckon it was a squid. Certainly had the right shape, size and propulsion.. nothing to be scared of and I had to laugh after I jumped but if you are standing in the sea at night and something is quickly moving towards you in the water you are bound to have something of a “large spider running towards you” effect.

Later on I saw a bunch of other nicely colored fish, no chance to identify them of course. I’m useless at that. Also at night it’s not easy to make out the colours properly despite torch. Also saw a skate of some sorts.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *