BootsnAll Travel Network



149: Te Anau & Glowworms

Left Invercargill yesterday for Te Anau in Fjordland region.
Took Scenic Route 99 along the southern coast and then inland towards Fjordland.

It was raining all day so other then a few stops at lookout points it was a rather uneventfull day. Went to Lake and stopped at Manapouri which is the departure point for Doubtful Sound Tours to get some information about this trip. It’s a day tour by boat, bus and boat again as Doubtful Sound cannot be reached directly. Prices are about 100 pounds and if weather is ok I might go on this trip after Milford Sound.

I arrived in Te Anau in the afternoon and checked into the local YHA. Had a few hours of reading up what to do in Fjordland and watched an interesting documentary about Fjordland Ecosystem.

Went on a night tour to a Glowworm Cave half an hour by boat. It’s a large but young limestone cavesystem (about 6km long) though the lower end where the glowworm cave is was fairly short. After an explanatory introduction we walked into the cave. Very noisy to to some stong flowing river in the cave, spectacular water flow with a binch of waterfalls etc. The walk was quite short, maybe 15 minute, and followed by a quiet and dark drift in a boat on the cave river to get to the Glowworm grotto as they called it.
Like watching the nioght sky, lots of “stars” in the sky 😉
On return there was a little exhibition telling more about the lifecycle ofthe glowworms, including that they feed on rock flies that hatch from the cave waters, that they can only feed when they are worms but not once they turn into some fly. In that form they only exist to mate and lay eggs.. An interesting trip..

Right now I am of to Milford Sound by car, stay there overnight, do a cruise the next day and then head back to Te Anau in the late afternoon. Cross fingers that weather will be kind. Forecast is good for the next 2-3 days but u never now. Right now it’s overcast (which it was not supposed to be) but then they say rain at Milford Sound at least keeps the swarms of Sandflies away 😉



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *