BootsnAll Travel Network



50: Getting Wet

I have not been up to much for the last few days. Still on Koh Samui mostly hanging out on the beach, reading a bit at Starbucks (yip there is one on Koh Samui:-) or walking around town. It has been raining quite a bit (on and off) during the last few days. Usually we get maybe half a day of sun and the rest cloudy or rain.

Talking of rain:
When I say rain I mean RAIN!!! Torrential downpours that easily challenge the shower in my bungalow in terms of water flow! It’s still very warm though so humidity is quite high especially in the evening when there is less wind going. Now what do you recon happens when one is on a Scooter driving around when it pours down? One gets SOAKING WET 😉 Even my rain jacket didnt help since it’s a jacket so below waist it’s wet, wet,wet.

The other day I had to change my fight ticket to leave oh Samui a bit later and decided to drive to the Airline Office outside of town. Naturally it started raining half way but by the time I reached the place I was soaking wet. BTW when it rains here the roads a FLOODED. Typically water stands up to 5cm high with the added bonus of sand washed out onthe road. Being on a scooter it means wet if not muddy feet but hey, I was wearing sandals so no problem, a quick rinse and all is back to normal. Sadly when I reached the ocation where the Airline Office was suposed to be there was a building site but no Airline Office. I walked in a nearby shop and asked and the said the Office was being rebuilt, should drive to the airport (which was the completely opposite way) *bother*;-)
Wet like a fish I got back on my scooter and drove back into town. Decided to check one of the travel agents if they could change my flight for me rather than me having to drive to the airport (not that I could get any wetter). The guy must have had pitty with mey dripping on his floor as he agreed to call the Airline and change the flight as required.

So what do we learn from that? Don’t drive a scooter when it rains unless you have a poncho to cover your entire body 😉 BTW – some (few) locals ave very thin plastic ponchos but many use umbrellas on their scooters… should see it, one hand steering, the other holding an umbrella :-O.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *