BootsnAll Travel Network



52: Scary Creatures (2)

And then there are the other kind, those linger mainly on the main road in Chaweng 😉

There are a few bars with “bar girls” or hostesses for using a kinder word and you have to change road sides or swiftly pass them or be prepared to literally be dragged into their bar.
Another type are Ladyboys. I didn’t notice any Ladyboys in Bangkok (maybe I’m blind or didn’t go to the right places) but here in Chaweng are plenty of them. Scary Creature I would call them without meaning to insult those people. I wonder why there are so many here in Thailand, I know they are “famous” but what’s the reason for there being so many in Thailand in general? On thing that comes to mind is what I read in a Do’s and Dont’s In Thailand Book that I bought a few weeks ago. Aparently Thailand is very open minded with regards to sexual orientation. There is no right or wrong, good or bad. AparentlyThais simply accept whatever sexual orientation someone has without a second thought. What that means I guess is that it’s much easier for people such as Ladyboys to follow they preference openly.

Interestigly however, despite this openmindedness Thais strongly refrain from showing any affection in public. You will never find couples kissing in public, going arm in arm or maybe hold hands. These affections are not supposed to be suitable for public display. If you were to see a good friend on the street after may years for the first time, a hand shake is the most you can do according to the proper thai ways, a hug or tap on the shoulder is apparently too much already.

And one other thing is that (although probably not quite like that anymore these days), no man should touch a woman in public. Story goes a few hundred years ago a princess was on a boat down the Chao Praya I think) to meet the King. Her boat capsized but no man dared rescuing the princess from the river because they did not dare to touch a woman in public and so she drowned….

It sounds far fetched to a westerner but it shows how strong Thai Traditions were and still are these days…

Anyway back to the scary creatures (of any kind), I can live with/around them (as long as they leave me alone and don’t bother me *haha* ;-))



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *