BootsnAll Travel Network



45: New Years Eve Party

Happy New Year Everyone 🙂

I’m still in Koh Samui and despite many (thousands) of people having gone to Koh Phangan (about 15km off Koph Samui) for the New Year Party I didn’t bother and stayed put on Koh Samui. No regrets though because the Beach Party here was pretty nice.

There were plenty of shows on along Chaweng Beach where I stay. Most resorts had special Gala Dinners for their guests combined with Live Bands, Cabarets and other performances. Where there were no live bands (at the smaller resorts) they had DJs playing music. Drinks and Food plenty as usual.

The Beach looked pretty amazing with lots of fairy lights put up on trees, candles everywhere (plenty of beach restarants had tables out and quite a few – how shall I call it.. essentially reclining chairs/beds with little tables inbetween where you could lie down and have dinner on the beach..

Best of all though was a rather nice practice of releasing flying lanterns (mini hotair balloon thingies) into the air. Don’t know what they are called but they looked like a little metal frame to hold a little petroleum soaked cloth at the bottom and above a thing plastic bag. Once they lit the cloth the hot air filled the plastic bag and a few seconds later the whole thing took off into the sky.
It looked really nice and curiously the lanterns followed the shape of the beach and were visible for ages.
You could see a whole stream of them flying higher and higher forming a line and eventually air currents changed their route but thei still all neatly seemed to fly in line behind each other.

Once it turned midnight the fireworks started all over the beach. Fabulous display, nothing grand like in Edinburgh during the festival or back home during Rhein in Flammen but the fact that the fireworks wnt off along the whole kilometer long beach and lasted for about an hour I reckon made it pretty spectacular.

Overall a very nice experience and the lanterns were definitely the highlight.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *