BootsnAll Travel Network



46: Exploring Koh Samui (2)

Took a trip down the south-east coast of Koh Samui today.

Weather was great and I was tempted to just hit the beach but did manage to get my acts together, grab my scooter and hit the road.

See the Map to follow the route.

Started off from my Resort (Big Wave) in North Chaweng and drove though Chaweng towards Lamai Beach. I could not resist to have alook at the beach so I stopped for an hour or two and walked along Lamai Beach from the norther end all teh way to the southern end. The beach itself is not too back. The sand in the middle part is quite fine and similar to Chaweng Beach but I think the sand was brought as sand near the water and further to the south gets a bit coarser. Overall the beach seems considerably quiter which is nice (no busy music blasting bars as in the middle of Chaweng) but there seems to be quite a but of rubbish on the beach and in the water as well. A shame really that the resorts don’t clean the beach though it may well be that the debris/rubbish is due to the recent rain and bad weather. There is noticeably more damage to resorts close to the beach just as on Bo Phut beach in the north.
The southern end of the beach towards Hin Da Hin Yai (Grandmother & Granfather Rock) is rather empty and not very nice to look at. Not a place I would want to stay.

Once I hit the end of the beach I walked up a few big rocks toward Grandmother/father Rock view point. Niceish view but there are much better views on the way to Lamai;-) (Yes I took some pictures but they are not here yet;-)

From there I took a little stroll into the wildernis on a little path towards Samui Resoprt in Hoa Thanon.
Lots of Butterflies there along the path, tried to take some pictures but mostly the little buggers are way too quick fluttering about;-) I saw about 10 different types including some huge black ones with white dots on the back end of their wings. Oh and at some point a big fat ping-pong ball sized humming beetle (I think) came flying towards me and I had to duck to avoid it *yuck* 😉 I heard a lot of birds and tried to find them in the trees but no luck, they were well hidden. Some sounded like mackacs (parot types) and I tried hard to find them but soon I realised that my legs were being attacked by a swarm of mosquitos and I quickly made an exit 🙂 back to Lamai Beach.

On with the Scooter further south I tried to find the Overlap Stone View Point just after Lamai Beach only to find that the road up the hill had been washed away by the floods a few weeks back. Back on the main road I found an alternative route signposted to the Overlap Stone Viewpoint but this time it was a dirt track and after 10 mins or so I hit a steep hill where the whole track had been seriously washed out and there was no chance to go any further *bother*. I am planning to go to some other mountain areas nearby tomorrow and I wonder if the roads just just as bad there. It would be a shame because there are some nice waterfalls apparently that are worth a visit.

For now I gave up on the inland tracks and stayed near the coast. Took the route further down to check out some other little beaches marked on the map.

Silver Beach is tiny but seems quite pleasant. They have nice bungalows built into the hills next to the bay (pictures), the sand on the beach is quite nice and the water seems much clearer then elsewhere. Good for snorkelling I reckon.

Went to the most southern point Thong Krut before heading back since it started to get dark.

On the way back I stopped at Restaurant which has a pretty spectacular view down a cliff towards the whole Bay of Lamai and Chaweng . Had some Thai food and then drove back home.

Right now my internet cafe closes so I that’s that for today.. and still no pictures in my posts ;-(



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *