BootsnAll Travel Network



Making a run for the border…

We left Hanoi on an early flight to Luang Prabang, Laos. We had our passport photos ready to give for the visa and thought we were ready to go. Oops. Here’s a lesson in having the right amount of travel money when entering a new country… I guess we got a little relaxed. oh well.

When we landed in Luang Prabang, we felt great. The temperature was about 70 degrees F and the sun was out. The air was light and the people would smile as they say Sabai-dee (Hello). We got in line, passport photos and documents in order, like good little travelers (pro’s, right?).

Them: “ok, that will be 35USD for each.. 70USD total, please.”
Us: “Um, we don’t have dollars, can we use credit card?”
Them: “no”
Us: “Can we use Vietnamese dong?”
Them: “no. Kip or USD. Can exchange.”
Us: “uh, What if we don’t have enough dong to exchange?”
Them: “You can exchange.”
Us: “Don’t understand… how does exchange give us more money?”
Them: “ATM in city.”
US: “We can leave the airport?”
Them: “Go that way.”

So we left our passports (held hostage) at the airport and had to find the one ATM in all of Luang Prabang. As we are trying to get to the city center, we hear people saying that there is actually no ATM in all of Luang Prabang. A major tourist destination with no ATM?… inconceivable to our western minds, but since Milford Sound (New Zealand) had the ATM and gas station issues, we fear the worse case. In the end, there is one ATM and a very long line behind it. So I watch the bags in the Tuk-Tuk as Paula gets the money. A 700,000 Kip max (70USD) means she had to withdraw 3 times. Back to the airport we go. After spending more time than is worthwhile talking our way the wrong way back through security, we pay for our visas, collect our passports and re-enter Laos as proper visitors.

Dan



Tags: ,

One Response to “Making a run for the border…”

  1. Ma Says:

    That was very scary – yea, very scary.

Leave a Reply