BootsnAll Travel Network



The feeling of discovery…

After a few days in Cappadocia, we were sad to leave… so much more to explore! Oh well, off on another overnight bus to Olympos. We learned that when making reservations (for anyone going to Turkey) that since the buses are rarely full and they let you choose your seat, the back is the best since most people choose the front. This means less people directly around you, snoring, kids crying, etc, and you can sleep better (assuming you can sleep on a bus!).

In Olympos, the thing to do is to stay in a ‘tree’-house. Now, by ‘tree’ they mostly mean wood. Most of them look more like shanty-houses than anything, but a few of them are built up high and deserve the tree-house name. We found that Olympos is a rock climbing hub and has thousands of routes. We considered going but mother nature killed that plan with a bit of evening and morning rain… oh well. It was a bit wet for the day but nothing so bad as to stop us from other activities. We decided to go on a hike. In Turkey, it is not uncommon to stumble upon ruins in random areas as there is so many. There is no single place to go to ‘see the ruins’… they’re everywhere. It was fun, as we travelled through various cities, that we would look at a city center and then realize that we were actually also looking at massive columns that were built hundreds of years ago, and the current city just built around them. On our hike, there were numerous ruins but the cool thing was that they are perfectly overgrown and seemingly untouched. Together, with us hiking on our own while a bit of drizzling rain fell, we were able to get a bit of the feeling of discovery. These ruins, or at least the context in which we were able to view them, put them very high on our list of ruins we’ve seen. Phenomenal!



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply