BootsnAll Travel Network



Gyro Heaven!

Northern Greece is different from the rest of Greece. This is because it is not very touristy. Less people speak english and you get the feeling of really travelling somewhere exotic and relatively untouched by outside forces. Thessaloniki is Greece’s second city and is a very hip and happening place. It has a great walking promenade (why are these sooooo rare in the US?) like many cities and has little gyro (pronounced “hero”…. and don’t forget to give the R a gentle roll!) shops littered everywhere. When we ordered our gyros (did you say it right this time?), we were pretty impressed that they churned out these tasty little guys in about 2 seconds …. and that’s not an exaggeration! It was definately an adventure as many of the menus were written only in Greek (imagine that, right?). We struggled and mimed with our, well honed, informal sign language to say chicken or cow and try to indicate what we were hoping to eat. The Greek were good natured and smiled along with us. I’m pretty sure we always received something very similar to what we wanted to eat… Although, the younger folks seem to be learning english so were able to get bits of help for directions, etc, from a fair number of people under 35 years old.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply