BootsnAll Travel Network



Kayaking in Milford Sound

After waving goodbye to the penguins, we drove to Fjordland National Park on the other side of New Zealand to experience Milford Sound. Milford Sound was misclassified and is acutally a fjord. A fjord is an estuary with steep sides, created in a glacially carved valley that is filled by rising sea water levels. Basically, imagine very steep cliffs with a beautiful river flowing below and snow-capped mountains in the background…it was beautiful.

We decided to explore the fjord by taking a kayaking tour. The kayaking was great fun, we paddled out for a while and had lunch on a shore. The way back was quite tough paddling because of strong head winds. Our guide taught us how to “kayak-sail” which we had never heard of. The way it worked is we situated our four kayaks next to each other like they were one wide boat and then using our oars and hands, we held up a sail which in that wind carried us quite quickly. We made a few friends and just to give you an idea of what a small country New Zealand is, we later ran into an Irish couple we had befriended at the holiday park where we stayed in Christchurch two days later.

dan and paula



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply