BootsnAll Travel Network



Zona Café

Last day in Manizales I took a day trip to a nearby coffee farm, since this is the centre of the “zona café” in Colombia.  The 1/2 an hour buses to get to the farm had great views of the coffee and banana plants covering the mountains in this area.  After the bus let me off on the side of the road I walked up the gravel track up to the farm, surrounded by coffee fields and lined with palm trees.

coffee fields

road to the farm

I joined the tour (en espanol) that had just started and was taken all over the farm, seeing the plants close up and the beans at every stage of production right up to the cup of coffee freshly ground and made in front of me at the end of the tour.  Since I’m not a coffee maniac, I usually only occasionally drink a coffee beverage (normally cappuccino) I didn’t know too much about it.  I learned a lot about coffee production which pleased me doubly since it meant I’ve progressed in my spanish comprehension in the last couple months.

coffee plant

rip coffee beans

ripe coffee beancoffee beans in a agave sack

A really cool thing about the farm, is that it’s not just coffee plants.  Sure they dominate the land use %, but there’s bamboo groves, lots of plátano and banana trees (including purple ones that are apparently hallucinogenic…), various other tropical fruit trees and even the odd cacao or macadamia tree.  Most of which I’d never seen the plants of before.

coffee and bamboo

red bananasplatano

Also a fair few cool, large, jungle flowers.

jungle flowerIMG_6262

After the tour of the fields and processing machines we walked up to a lookout viewing the whole area.  Even saw a snake climbing bamboo on the way…

coffee farm

snake in the bamboo

Once I’d had the cup of coffee and the complementary fresh fruit salad it was back to the bus stop and a bus to Manizales where I finished the day off with a dinner of Patacon.  Keeping with my one-a-day regiment of those I have prescribed myself.  Tomorrow it’s back to Medellin, where I’ll spend my last 3 days in Colombia.



Tags: ,

246 responses to “Zona Café”

  1. weblink says:

    I simply desire to inform you you that I am new to writing and undeniably loved your article. Most likely I am likely to remember your blog post . You literally have magnificent article information. Like it for giving out with us your main website information

  2. The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod’s. It works well, but isn’t as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that’s not an issue, but if you’re planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod’s larger screen and better browser may be important.

  3. Fantastic goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely magnificent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a wonderful website.

  4. I simply want to advise you that I am new to online blogging and genuinely liked your report. Quite possibly I am probably to bookmark your blog post . You definitely have memorable article blog posts. Be Thankful For it for sharing with us your very own web information

  5. directory says:

    Highly absorbing resources you’ll have said, say thanks a lot for submitting.

  6. This is convenient occasion to produce some intentions for the long-run. I have read through this blog entry and if I could, I wish to propose you a few enlightening tip.

  7. Exceedingly motivating data that you have stated, thanks so much for adding.

  8. Quite absorbing data you’ll have said, say thanks a lot for submitting.

  9. dig this says:

    It is actually near extremely difficult to see well-qualified americans on this subject, and yet you look like you fully grasp what exactly you’re posting on! Appreciation

  10. Good day there, just became conscious of your website through Google, and discovered that it’s really good. I’ll like should you decide carry on these.

  11. Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such excellent information being shared freely out there.

  12. Undeniably believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

  13. Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last several posts have been kinda boring¡K I miss your great writings. Past several posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

  14. But wanna comment that you have a very decent website , I enjoy the style it really stands out.

  15. Automotive says:

    whoah this blog is magnificent i like studying your articles. Keep up the good paintings! You know, lots of individuals are hunting round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

  16. Dentist says:

    I’m still learning from you, as I’m trying to reach my goals. I certainly enjoy reading all that is posted on your blog.Keep the aarticles coming. I liked it!

  17. My Sites says:

    It is usually the best day to put together some preparations for the future. I have scan this blog entry and if I may just, I want to recommend you few fascinating recommendations.

  18. Hello. impressive job. I did not anticipate this. This is a remarkable story. Thanks!

  19. Education says:

    You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I to find this matter to be really one thing that I think I might by no means understand. It kind of feels too complex and very extensive for me. I am taking a look ahead to your subsequent put up, I¡¦ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

  20. Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

  21. Hey there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. Thanks!|

  22. I¡¦ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i am satisfied to convey that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I so much without a doubt will make certain to don¡¦t disregard this web site and give it a glance on a relentless basis.

  23. Business says:

    Hello.This article was extremely fascinating, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this topic last Wednesday.

  24. read this says:

    Hello there! This post couldn’t be written much better! Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I most certainly will forward this information to him. Fairly certain he’ll have a good read. Thank you for sharing!|

  25. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for meta_keyword|

  26. I used to be able to find good info from your blog articles.|

  27. Fairly enlightening suggestions you’ll have mentioned, say thanks a lot for setting up.

  28. Look At This says:

    Hullo there, just became aware about your blog through The Big G, and discovered that it’s genuinely helpful. I will truly appreciate should you persist this approach.

  29. read more says:

    It is usually the best time to prepare some schedules for the possible future. I have scan this posting and if I could, I want to suggest to you you number of great tips and advice.

  30. I dugg some of you post as I cogitated they were extremely helpful handy

  31. Profile Blog says:

    It is actually near unattainable to encounter well-informed people on this content, regrettably you appear like you are familiar with what you’re raving about! Bless You

  32. I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my web site :).

  33. Finance says:

    Hello, i think that i saw you visited my weblog thus i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

  34. website here says:

    Pretty motivating details you’ll have said, warm regards for posting.

  35. read more says:

    Incredibly absorbing highlights that you have said, thank you so much for publishing.

  36. Finance says:

    Thanks a lot for giving everyone an exceptionally wonderful opportunity to read articles and blog posts from this website. It really is very good and full of a lot of fun for me personally and my office mates to visit your site at the least 3 times in one week to learn the latest items you will have. Not to mention, we are always fascinated concerning the attractive tips you serve. Certain 1 ideas on this page are unquestionably the most impressive we’ve ever had.

  37. I carry on listening to the news update speak about getting boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one. Could you tell me please, where could i get some?

  38. Business says:

    Whats Taking place i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & aid other customers like its helped me. Good job.

  39. I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thx again!

  40. Thank you a lot for providing individuals with an exceptionally special opportunity to discover important secrets from here. It can be very pleasurable and also stuffed with a great time for me and my office co-workers to search your blog at a minimum three times weekly to read through the new stuff you will have. Not to mention, we’re at all times satisfied with the powerful thoughts served by you. Certain two ideas in this article are rather the most efficient I’ve ever had.

  41. Good blog! I truly love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which must do the trick! Have a great day!

  42. Business says:

    Thank you a lot for providing individuals with an exceptionally superb chance to read from here. It is usually so useful and as well , jam-packed with a lot of fun for me and my office friends to visit the blog at least three times in 7 days to read the latest things you will have. Not to mention, I’m just certainly satisfied with the astounding techniques served by you. Certain 3 areas in this article are truly the most suitable we have all ever had.

  43. Technology says:

    Hello my family member! I wish to say that this post is amazing, great written and include almost all vital infos. I¡¦d like to look extra posts like this .

  44. web says:

    I’m more than happy to uncover this great site. I need to to thank you for ones time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely really liked every little bit of it and i also have you saved to fav to see new things on your site.

  45. I just wish to notify you that I am new to having a blog and extremely adored your information. Likely I am probably to remember your blog post . You indeed have fabulous article blog posts. Delight In it for swapping with us your url post

  46. Incredibly beneficial specifics you have said, thanks for setting up.

  47. Sharron Gant says:

    I like what you guys are up too. Such intelligent work and reporting! Keep up the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my site :).

  48. Hi folks there, just became conscious of your blogging site through The Big G, and realized that it’s quite good. I will be grateful in the event you retain this.

  49. Carter Moles says:

    I like this post, enjoyed this one thank you for posting. “We are punished by our sins, not for them.” by Elbert Hubbard.

  50. “great post, very informative. I wonder why the opposite experts of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.