BootsnAll Travel Network



Wellington

After the Tongariro crossing, we headed down to Wellington via Napier, a town in the centre of the hawkes bay wine region with classic art deco buildings in it and not a whole lot else.  Wellington lives up to the reputation of being windy, very windy.  The town is crammed in between the coastline and the hills surrounding it, some of the hills there felt like San Francisco.  Wellington is full of great eateries and watering holes, a very good night out, I was amazed how many people were out late on a Wed night.  I had the first kiwi beer that I actually really liked here and relived some of my asian experiences at great Japanese and Korean places in town.

eating Korean, bibimbap & kimchi!

Wellington is the departure point for the ferries to the South island, to Picton.  It’s a 3 hours ferry ride, some of which has some pretty cool views.  Picton is small, with not a whole lot of anything there, strange considering it is the entry point into the South island for anyone who takes a ferry across the Cook straight.

view from the interislander ferry

After disembarking from the ferry we drove from Picton to Nelson along the coast on a very scenic and winding road through the hills.  Nelson is somewhat of a yuppie town, we just spent the night there en route to the Abel Tasman park.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.