BootsnAll Travel Network



Abel Tasman Park

Got up at 7 in the morning in order to get checked out of the hostel and up the the launching point for our water taxi.  We decided to get the water taxi up along the coastline of the Abel Tasman park, hike back part way and then catch the water taxi back to the park entrance.

The weather could not have been better.  First the taxi takes us up the coast past numerous insanely idyllic beaches and coves, including a small seal colony on an offshore island.  Then, we get off on one of the most perfect beaches/coves I’ve ever seen.

torrent bay

The hike back down the coastline was mostly through bushland and some forest, every now and then turning a corner there was a stunning overview of a different cove.  Our halfway point on the trail was barks bay, which is similarly perfect to the start of the hike, just unique in it’s own way.  The crescent shaped smooth sandy beach here goes out far into the bay sloping down very slowly underwater.  It was so perfect I had to go for a swim and the water and view were amazing.

barks bay

me swimming @ barks bay

A truly great day, I can’t think of a way it could’ve been much better, was rounded off by getting a cheese fix for dinner and the a bottle of the local, world famous, sauvignon blanc wine.  The best thing about the day was, I didn’t just see cool beaches, I saw a collection of the best coves and beaches I’ve ever seen, in perfect weather, and for the most part hardly anyone was on any of them.

tonga bay beach



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.