BootsnAll Travel Network



Sydney

opera house from the ferry

I’ve been in Sydney for a couple days now, staying in Kings Cross in a hotel above an Irish pub which I haven’t been able to go to yet due to it being over flowing with people every night.  The whole city is packed with people, I’m guessing a large portion of them are here for New Years (either that or this city has the most happening Monday nights I’ve ever seen).  Kings Cross is an interesting mix of takeaway restaurants, strip clubs, trendy bars, clubs, sleazy hostels and some really nice restaurants and hotels.  I read things before I got here about it being a place to avoid being in Sydney, can’t see why to be honest.  I’ve walked all over it in the past 2 days and haven’t felt unsafe once.  All that being said, most of the drinking establishments in the area aren’t really my kind of place.  For that I like The Rocks.  The first settlement in sydney, right on the harbour.  It’s full of old buildings, pubs, restaurants and shops with a great atmosphere.

harbour bridge from the rocks

I’ve taken a couple ferries across Sydney harbour to the North shore, walked back across the harbour bridge one time.  The view of the Opera house from there is fantastic.  My favourite view of the harbour so far was from the North shore, not far from the harbour bridge.  You can see the Opera house, the city and the bridge.

Dowtown sydney, opera house from the North shore

As far as the New Year celebrations go, there’s banners up everywhere saying “NYE 2008” etc.  They close almost all the roads in downtown Sydney on New Years Eve as the masses pour in.  This is gonna be one hell of a party, can’t wait for it!

Now I’m off to Bondi beach for the day!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.