BootsnAll Travel Network



Sacsayhuaman and the Inca sights around Cusco

Second day in Cusco, feeling no ill-effects from the altitude we decided to hike up the hill North of the city to the ruins of the Sacsayhuaman inca fortress, only 40 minutes steep walking from the plaza de armas. With this view along the way…

view of the city from the hills

plaza de armas from the hills

We had planned to just visit this ruin for the day and go to the other 3, smaller ones the next day. However when we got to the entrance of Sacsayhuaman we discovered that the entry ticket for all 4 was 50% cheaper if we visited them all in one day. So we bought the one day discount ticket, at 1:00pm, with 5 hours of light left in the day. This meant a lot more hiking in between sites.

me @ Sacsayhuaman

Sacsayhuaman is a large fortress, built by the inca civilization in the 15th century. Enough of it remains for you to imagine a very formidable fortification. A sheer cliff on one side, and 3 levels of high walls made of massive stones zigzagging at right angles across the flat open ground below.

fortress walls

fortress walls

There’s more to the site than just the main fort, with tunnels, lots more building foundations and a circular arena.

tunnels

IMG_5432

We didn’t linger long, in order to get to the other 3 sights before sunset. The next one, quite small, was the inca rocks of Qenco. I met an Andean shaman there who was explaining to me the energy that (the incas) believe is in the rocks here.

me @ Qenko inca site

After that we walked what was supposed to be a 1 1/2-2 hour tough uphill climb, according to me rough guide. So naturally, we got to the next ruin easily in 50 minutes after a mainly gradual uphill walk along the side of the road. More kudos to rough guide for accurate information. Just before reaching the ruins of Pukapukara we passed through a small farming village. Houses built of the mud blocks and the fields surrounded by them too, they even had a football pitch in the village…

farm field in the mountains

andean village football pitch

Pukapukara was the gate house for the incas, a medieval customs office for the people en-route to Cusco complete with, apparently, hotel rooms of a sort.

IMG_5401

IMG_5415

IMG_5410

The last of the sites, 10 minutes down the road from Pukapukara, was the baths of Tambomachay. Another small site, with a cool inca water system there.

IMG_5422

It started to rain while we were admiring the baths, and since we were completely unprepared for the day, only taking stuff we thought we’d need for the first ruin (no coats, jumpers or much of anything else) we caught a 1 sole (usd 0.30) minibus taxi back to the first ruin instead of walking in what was now a chilly day with the sun long hidden behind clouds. It was not raining back at Sacsayhuaman so we figured we’d walk around some more there. Apparently our ticket was meant to be for one entry per sight (which makes no sense to me since it was only valid for today), but I concocted a story in spanish for the ticket person which she seemed to possibly half believe, and let us in regardless. The light was different and the wind was cold, but we walked around a bit more imagining what the place would’ve looked like in it’s day…

sunset at Sacsayhuaman

IMG_5452

first level of defense walls

IMG_5441

IMG_5436

sunset at Sacsayhuaman

After that we headed quickly back to Cusco, and warmth. Stopping briefly for some shots of the city at dusk, it’s a stunning view night or day.

plaza de armas from the path to Sacsayhuaman

plaza de armas at dusk

The first restaurant we found with alpaca on the menu was our next stop, to try the local dish. I’d rate it average, pretty tough with decent flavour. Now I just have to figure out where I can go for a ride on one…



Tags: ,

523 responses to “Sacsayhuaman and the Inca sights around Cusco”

  1. Hi my friend! I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to peer extra posts like this.

  2. I’ll right away clutch your rss as I can’t find your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service. Do you have any? Please let me recognize so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

  3. I happen to be commenting to let you understand of the amazing experience my cousin’s princess enjoyed studying your site. She learned a lot of pieces, not to mention what it’s like to have an excellent teaching heart to make the others with no trouble comprehend certain extremely tough subject areas. You undoubtedly exceeded our own expected results. Thank you for delivering these valuable, dependable, informative not to mention easy thoughts on the topic to Janet.

  4. Apple now has Rhapsody as an app, which is a great start, but it is currently hampered by the inability to store locally on your iPod, and has a dismal 64kbps bit rate. If this changes, then it will somewhat negate this advantage for the Zune, but the 10 songs per month will still be a big plus in Zune Pass’ favor.

  5. Jamey Rashid says:

    I was examining some of your content on this internet site and I think this site is really informative! Continue putting up.

  6. Darell Lope says:

    obviously like your website however you need to test the spelling on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll certainly come again again.

  7. Terra Palek says:

    You are my breathing in, I have few web logs and often run out from post :). “Follow your inclinations with due regard to the policeman round the corner.” by W. Somerset Maugham.

  8. sale car says:

    Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write on my blog something like that. Can I take a portion of your post to my blog?

  9. credit union says:

    Great tremendous things here. I am very satisfied to look your article. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

  10. Great work! This is the type of information that are supposed to be shared around the web. Shame on Google for no longer positioning this publish upper! Come on over and visit my site . Thanks =)

  11. used cars says:

    I enjoy, cause I discovered just what I used to be taking a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

  12. business says:

    I precisely wanted to say thanks once more. I do not know the things that I could possibly have accomplished without the type of strategies shown by you directly on my field. This has been an absolute challenging issue for me, but understanding this specialized tactic you treated that took me to cry for gladness. Now i am happy for your information and thus have high hopes you really know what a powerful job you are getting into teaching many people thru your web page. I am certain you have never met all of us.

  13. Of course, what a magnificent blog and revealing posts, I definitely will bookmark your blog.All the Best!

  14. Great tremendous issues here. I¡¦m very glad to look your article. Thanks so much and i am taking a look forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

  15. Games says:

    Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

  16. Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write on my site something like that. Can I include a part of your post to my website?

  17. Hello my family member! I want to say that this article is awesome, great written and include approximately all important infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

  18. Fantastic web site. Plenty of helpful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you in your effort!

  19. Business says:

    I think this is one of the most important info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

  20. automotive says:

    Hello.This post was really interesting, particularly because I was looking for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

  21. Business says:

    Thank you for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such fantastic information being shared freely out there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.