BootsnAll Travel Network



Nazca, don’t go there!

We left Lima for Nazca, a 8 hour bus ride through some of the most boring landscapes I’ve ever seen.  The worlds driest costal desert.  Looked more like the moon to me, unearthly scenery, and this was the same around Nazca.

mountains around the lines

The town of Nazca was described in my guidebook as a nice colonial town and a pleasant place to spend a couple of days.  After spending a couple days there I could not disagree more.  It is a total shithole with no colonial buildings in sight.  There is absolutely nothing to do in the town, the only draw here being the Nazca lines, made centuries ago by the Nazca people in the surrounding desert.  There are mountains here but they are the most uninteresting I’ve ever seen due to the complete lack of colour or growth on them.  Don’t buy the “rough guide south america 2009” book.  Enough said.

IMG_5199

IMG_5200

IMG_5196

People come here to do a flight over the lines, the only way you can see most of them.  However that is expensive and I had no intention of doing it.  During the two full days we were in Nazca, the only sightseeing we did was a trip to the viewing tower where you can see a few of the lines.  This trip was highly overpriced as well.

nazca lines

We spent most of our time in restaurants just killing time before our bus to Cusco…

bored, in nazca

2 days in total, having some good food, more Cebiche which I really like and various other good dishes, this was the only good thing though, stopping here to break up the bus ride was a terrible idea.  The bus to Cusco left at 9:00pm and arrived around noon the next day, pretty much all of the trip was through mountain switchback roads making it much harder to sleep than on the bus rides in Chile and Argentina.  There was also less legroom then the buses in those places and this was a more expensive bus.  I’m not impressed.  The last few hours of the ride before we got to Cusco was pretty spectacular, even saw some snow capped mountains in the distance…

near cusco from the bus

near cusco from the bus



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.