BootsnAll Travel Network



Bay Of Islands

Left Auckland after dropping my computer off for repairs, picking up my rental car and drove up to the bay of islands.  Beautiful sunny day up there, nice change from Auckland.

First day here I rode a bike up to a lookout point for a view of the inner bay, and then spent the afternoon kayaking across the bay and up a mangrove lined river.  Pretty good fun but lots of working kayaking back against the wind.

Second day here, I took a day trip on a 45ft sailing boat out around the bay.  Captained by a Canadian expat it was only me and a couple other English people on the trip.  Fantastic day, and the capt was great.  He had us steering the boat, adjusting the sails and doing just about everything.  After a couple hours sailing we stopped at an island, the first place Capt Cook landed on oh so long ago and explored it for a while, swam in the bay there off the beach.  The waters not that cold here… Then we sailed back into the port.  Really nice day, this is a really nice bay, the islands just keep on going out to sea.  We just about got to the end of them in a couple hours of sailing…

IMG_1238

My day tomorrow when I leave the bay of island will depend on the weather.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Bay Of Islands”

  1. alex kaminski says:

    dude, where are the pics!

  2. Adam says:

    I don’t have my computer back yet, no way to upload them. Should have it and working again in a couple days… don’t worry I’m taking plenty!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.