BootsnAll Travel Network



would you like to come for breakfast?

by Rach
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
 

We’re just popping down to the market.
We leave our guesthouse…..

and walk down the road. Nothing spectacular, just a fairly typical street.

At the corner there are two sleeping beauties. The other tuktuk drivers on the opposite corner laugh as we photograph this one – I’m sure they’ll tell him later!

The second sleeper is harder to see – can you spot his feet?

Stepping back, I snap again so you can see “the bigger picture”.

And the other side.

At the end of the street, this guy appears. That’s one serious load he’s hauling! We walk down here every morning and there’s always something interesting to see!

Most days we get a “doughnut” from this stall and then some fruit.

But today we’re having rice noodle soup. Over a dozen men and women crowd around to watch us eat, ask us questions, help us learn some more Khmer. We wish the H’s were still with us – obviously people figured we were two medium-sized families when they were here….now we can’t walk down the street together without people stopping us to check how many and where from. Our “Two families” answer to the then-occasional question was too short-lived! Ah well, the “brahmbai gon” and “pee chnahm” (eight children, two years) rippled round the market this morning. Tomorrow might be quieter and quicker for us!

We find bread for lunch and dinner (for dinner we’re stuffing the rolls with BBQed meaty sausages and gherkins and tomatoes – the sausages we’ll get from a stall tonight, the rest we pick up at the market).

We buy bananas and oranges.

We get pepper to go on the tomatoes.

We pass by the chickens.

We don’t bother the butcher, either.

And we cross the road to head home. Hang on, it’s a bit busy, we’ll wait a moment.

Still too busy.

OK, step out now!



Tags: , , , ,

One response to “would you like to come for breakfast?”

  1. Gran and Pa says:

    Great photos and interesting time

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *