BootsnAll Travel Network



Santa Catalina to Rabanal

Day 2: Distance travelled 12kms. Total ascent 178m
Weather: Cloudy, light showers and warm. Est: 22-25 degrees

Our second day into the Camino takes us up towards the Cruz de Ferro, although we plan to stop in Rabanal del Camino about 12 kilometers away. We start the day with a pilgrim breakfast in the albergue – hot chocolate, toast and fruit juice. A nice start to the day, but hopefully we won’t be caught to many more times without food and needing to eat in the bars as the budget doesn’t stretch that far! We head off as the sun is starting to rise.

Spain Sept 9 003

Spain Sept 9 017

As we head into the hills the weather becomes more unsettled and several light showers pass over us. The temperature is still in the low 20s so the showers are welcome cooling – and they help to settle the dust on the track. You can easily tell a pilgrim by the white chalky dust covering their boots and legs up the their knees. Starting out earlier means we are also walking amongst dozens of other travellers – most of whom are overtaking us! We have already met several hardened pilgrims who are covering 30 to 45 kms per day. One man had started from Amsterdam 96 days ago and was now averaging 40+ kms a day! We have also been told several Camino ‘proverbs’, such as:

The Camino doesn’t really start until you return home.
First you have to be the Camino before you can start the Camino.

Well, I guess these can be as deep and profound as you want to make them! For us, we are enjoying the slow pace, the chance to chat as we walk, the fresh air and physical exercise, and the snatches of deeper reflection on life this walk offers. We are also finding these small Spanish villages rustic, simple and charming. The locals are completely used to having travellers pass through their town and are extremely friendly and welcoming, but in a low key, non-consumerist and un-touristified way.

Spain Sept 9 010

Spain Sept 9 036

Spain Sept 9 038

We have also had many conversations today with a diverse range of fellow pilgrims from around the world, each of whom has their own story and reasons for being on the Way. And that, we are starting to appreciate, is the beauty of the Camino. It is the people you meet and the conversations you strike up. It is strange how an ancient pilgrimage route such as the Camino attracts so  many different and varied people. The albergue we are staying in today, Albergue Gaucelmo, is run by volunteers from the London based Confraternity of St James. The property was purchased in the 70s and has been gradually restored. It is now a fabulously kept ‘hostel’, and run by three cheery and friendly British volunteers. The facilities are spotless and the amenities great.

Spain Sept 9 024

The albergue is opposite the Benedictine Monastery of San Salvador del Monte Irago and we were fortunate to be able to attended Sunday vespers in the evening. JGirl17 was asked to take part by delivering a reading – most of the service is in Spanish or Latin (in the monastic tradition), but at the end several pilgrims were asked to give a reading from the Bible in different languages. The evening prayer service was marked throughout by the Gregorian chants lead by the resident monks, and was a fitting highlight to end our day with.

IMG_3366

ps – it is a sign of the times that even in these tiny rural villages one can still find a wifi connection! 🙂



Tags:

5 responses to “Santa Catalina to Rabanal”

  1. Anne - annakappa says:

    I’m soooo glad that you could stay at Guacelmo. Did they give you The Barn? We were hospitaleros there in 2010 for 17 days. I love that village. Last year we stayed 3 nights there to help out due to loads of Pilgrims on the Camino, at a moment when they weren’t expected. We should be there again about 9th October – sadly too late to meet you all! Anne from Costa Rica

  2. Fiona Taylor says:

    Sunday vespers sounded amazing.
    I cannot imagine how some people are covering so much ground in a day?? 40km is a very long way to walk in one hit!! … motorised shoes???

  3. KiwiNomad says:

    It’s great to read your first couple of accounts from the Camino. Glad you have been able to take a slower pace and experience this all together. Buen Camino! Margaret

  4. rayres says:

    Thanks Marg. Yep, enjoying it although today was a longer day at 17.5kms over the hills so we are all feeling our backs from heavy packs! Buen Camino indeed.

  5. rayres says:

    Yes, Anne we got the Barn….it was so wonderful. Our youngest didn’t want to leave! Amazing hospitaleros made the stay superb…and he fresh herbs from the garden and plums and pears and taking tea at 5 didn’t hurt either! Vespers was great too. Thanks for your advice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *