BootsnAll Travel Network



night market

by Rach

night market 3

Each evening as the sun sets over Chiang Mai the metal barrows that line the sides of the main street by day, looking like oversized rubbish skips, turn into a blast of colour enticing tourists to part with their baht. Calls of “many sizes” or “many colour” or “just for you” or “big family” ring out as you try to squeeze past. Tucked down an alleyway behind the main street is a square with more of the same, and food stalls too. Here we can eat the best Pad Thai we’ve found for NZ$1.50; iced water comes free. For a dollar from the next stall there’s a variety of curries and spicy chicken dishes and seasonal vegetables, all served on delicious Thai jasmine rice. There are more stalls too – Halal fare, pork noodle soup, all manner of fried delicacies – but we keep returning to these two, because they are just so good.

night market 1

night market 2

night market 4

night market 7

Pad Thai ingredient list
In order added to wok
oil
chopped chicken
tofu cubes
white parsnip (which is orange by the time she buys it – cooked in something perhaps)
egg
flat white noodles
water
tamarind paste dissolved in water
sugar and salt
dried shrimps
something black – soy sauce? vinegar?
beansprouts
5cm lengths of spring onion, chopped to look like grass
chopped peanuts to garnish

Here we are posting about the night market on the only day so far that we haven’t been up there! Today’s outing was…..

temple ruins 2

temple ruins 1



Tags: , ,

3 responses to “night market”

  1. jen says:

    I LOVE that linen the colours the designs
    wow a night market
    like Sunday markets only at night

  2. monica says:

    something dark – maybe fish sauce?

  3. Fiona Taylor says:

    Awesome fabrics!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *