BootsnAll Travel Network



more tea, vicar?

By Rach

Cameron Highlands, 24 degrees Celsius. In comparison to KL, it feels really COLD and we all need long sleeves on! No sweating, just goosebumps. Funny to think that this temperature at home would be considered a hot day!

We thought the van was full with 12 people in it yesterday. Today we packed in 13!! Actually, it was nice to be travelling all together, although I have not got over my uneasiness at zipping around without seatbelts. But somehow you feel safer squished tightly in a car.

Highlight of today would have to be the tea plantations we visited.
I just didn’t know. I’d never really thought about it…what the plants look like, how high they grow, what kind of conditions they require, how often they are harvested, how they are sorted. I certainly had not considered all the different shades of green or the geometric designs sprawling across the steepest hillsides. I hadn’t ever imagined how the crowing of a rooster would sound across the valley or that the whirring of the "shaving machines" could be heard at such a distance. I didn’t expect to round a corner of the very narrow road and meet a dozen men in gumboots sorting the newly-picked leaves.
It was a day of rich experience.

tea 1

tea 3

tea 2

tea 4

And at the bottom of the tea plantations were farms, farms and more farms.

farming

farmers houses



Tags: ,

5 responses to “more tea, vicar?”

  1. jen says:

    how interesting learning first hand where and how tea is grown

  2. Rosemary says:

    Wow, what an amazing site on that hillside……..thanks for the ‘tea’ lesson, better than any book from the library!

  3. MarthaAnn says:

    I love the richness of the GREEN.
    Thank you for the posting of the pictures.

  4. Nikki says:

    Oh neat! Our family visited the Cameron Highlands and I have fond memories of visiting the tea plantations…just a shame about the food poisoning I also picked up there from a seafood steamboat meal (wasn’t a good idea to eat seafood so far inland!)…

  5. Fiona Taylor says:

    Better than a school trip to Tip Top!! So, was the tea nice?? Amazing photos – the plantations are so huge!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *