BootsnAll Travel Network



money here and money there

by Mr & Mrs (empty) Money-Bags
Hong Kong

 

Never mind the Rolexes or precious pearls. Our needs are more modest.

THERE a plate of rice covered with a selection of meat and vegetable dishes cost a whopping dollar seventy (there being China, just a few miles away).
HERE the same costs HK$50-ish, which with the falling dollar now equals NZ$15. EEK! Multiply *that* by ten mouths!!!

THERE every shop keeper closely examined even a 20 yuan note (ie next-to-nothing).
HERE no-one blinks (except you, the spender!) if you offer a $500 note (ie – a whole lot more).

THERE we found a story to tell.

We were quietly sitting on the train minding our own business when a man hopped on and started talking to everyone who would listen. Our neighbouring passenger leaned over and insisted what he was saying was very useful information for us. At the end of the spiel, he asked if we’d understood. Umm. No. Although we kind of worked it out – infomercials are the same the world over! Real money and counterfeit money looks the same. Here, have a look at these, can you work out which one is the fake? No, of course not, but if you buy my little product, which will not cost you much, but could potentially save you thousands, you will be able to tell.
At least we think that’s what he said as he handed around small easy-to-carry don’t-take-much-space-in-your-handbag-or-back-pocket UV torches.
Our friendly neighbour filled in the important details – 10 yuan each or two for 15. Almost as good as the toothbrushes – six for 10 yuan – that had been advertised by a very animated, excited, enthusiastic-about-his-product entrepreneur prior to the torch man.

HERE we found out something we didn’t previously know.

Can you spot the difference between the three Hong Kong $100 notes? You might be thinking one or two are counterfeit notes? Close, but no cigar. In case you were wondering… they ARE all legal, and yes, there are THREE different types of banknote in Hong Kong. This is because Hong Kong has the unusual position of having three commercial banks that are authorised to print banknotes as legal tender. Typically it is one reserve bank or treasury that prints all currency for a country – resulting in one style of note per denomination. Here in Hong Kong, the three banks all print notes which are different in style, but similar in colour, and are the same size. Store that factoid away for that next game of Trivial Pursuit – Hong Kong Edition! 🙂 Also saves a few puzzled moments as you look at your freshly acquired from the ATM wad of notes and compare them with what is already in your wallet!

We also managed to find cheaper ways to eat! Instant noodles cost fifty cents 😉
And just round the corner, unmentioned by any guidebook, is a little Chinese shop with a wonderful array of tasty dishes for half the price of the nearby restaurants. It still hurts, but we won’t be HERE for long….we’re going back THERE soon!



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “money here and money there”

  1. nova says:

    yikes Europe is going to be a bit nasty in that regard isn’t it?!

  2. Fiona Taylor says:

    My parents arrive in Hong Kong on the Queen Victoria on Wednesday… for one day I believe!! I was going to suggest that they could find you by going to local food stalls and ask where the big family is 🙂 hahaha. Glad you found a cheaper place to eat, and are off to more inexpensive delights soon :-).
    The knitting is progressing well – thanks for the links. The videos were so helpful and I learnt a new way to cast on (verses getting my aforementioned mother to do it for me!!)
    Take care all.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *