BootsnAll Travel Network



housekeeping

Actually that’s one thing we are not doing much of. Even a complete overhaul of the packs takes less than an hour. Everyone over the age of six washes out their socks and undies in the handbasin each evening and they are usually dry by morning. Big ticket items sometimes get the same treatment, but if we can find a laundry-person (there’s another story!) we are always happy to pay the little they ask for their services.
The little kids like getting one of the stick brooms and sweeping the dust around – keeps them busy.
Sterilising water is fun.
Making beds with sheets and blankets is still a novelty.
The only job no-one really fancies is emptying out the toilet paper bin – no putting toilet paper in the toilet here!

We have been battling with the internet connection here in Chiang Mai, and in spite of Rob’s meddling with the guesthouse’s router and antenna, we are not convinced we have won. So we are going to post our trek posts without pictures. Some time…conceivably after Laos….we will upload the pictures. We are not expecting a better internet service in Laos, so we may need to resort to just words for the next month.

We have uploaded a post, which you may have missed, coz it was slotted in chronologically before the trek. You can see it here if you want to.

Random Thoughts.

  • *I, Rachael, have had enough of people patting Rob on the back and shaking his hand and telling him what a strong man he is <wink> Does no-one realise Rob did not give birth to these eight sproglets? LOL
  • *we have worked out what’s wrong with the food. Actually, nothing is wrong per se, but with temperatures in the high 20s-early30s we realised we should be enjoying salads….then we got to talking about crunchy lettuce and red tomatoes and avocado and cheese….oh yes, cheese. We decided maybe, just maybe, we might have had enough of rice and noodles twice a day. It took six weeks. Then we went out for dinner of rice noodles, so we got over it pretty quickly! (But lasagne and salad still sound attractive.)
  • *we have seen two motorbike accidents in under a week on the same road – why do people not wear their helmets?


Tags:

2 responses to “housekeeping”

  1. jen says:

    may yourself patted on the back Rach by me
    wtg to you for having those children of yours
    i have a feeling for how hard you work as my sister has a large family too 🙂
    Jen

  2. Hi guys, just found your card in the guestbook at Tony’s Guesthouse in Malacca. Great site, we’ll keep track of you. If you’re still in Chiang Mai, the Wild Orchid Guesthouse has great wifi access with rooms from 300 Baht a night. It’s not far from the night market and the Chiang Mai Saloon restaurant. In Laos, try Vilay Guesthouse in Luang Prabang for good wifi and cheap rooms. Happy travels 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *