BootsnAll Travel Network



*chop*chop*

from J14’s journal

To prevent ourselves from looking like cavemen we sought out a local barber. This did not take too long as there was one not 50 metres away at the end of a lane exactly opposite the guesthouse where we are staying. We watched with interest as the barber cut someone else’s hair. He was very particular about even the smallest hair being too long. This is not at all bad; it just means it takes a while.
Whilst trying not to stare and appear rude, we saw the customer have his chair reclined and his face rubbed with some blue liquid.
“Now he’s going to pull a tooth,” I remarked. It certainly wouldn’t have been out of place – the barber looked fully capable and equipped. There was a pair of pliers waiting on the bench! But no, he was just going to shave the man’s face and trim the hairs up his nose.
Because both the barber’s and customer’s hair was almost completely shaven off, Mboy6 voiced his fear, “What if I end up bald?” He didn’t!
I tried to explain to the Thai-speaking barber that I only wanted a little bit cut off, and hopped into the chair hoping he had understood my signals as *a little bit off* and not *a little bit left on*! The scissors cut very fast. By the time he had worked his way to one ear I was not so worried about losing too much hair, but thatI might lose some of my ear! Not to worry; this barber was skilled. After he had been snipping efficiently for some time I said, “Kop koon ka,” which means, “Thank you,” and thankfully he got the message that my hair was short enough.
Six haircuts for 200 baht (NZ$10) – not bad eh!

 

PS (nothing whatsoever to do with haircuts)
When we walked in to this town we heard roosters crowing and we grinned at each other. When we looked over our balcony to the garden below, we saw a rooster enclosure, and we grinned again. When we woke at 4am and peeked at the watch we commented that the roosters were quiet and we grinned sleepily. Within a few seconds the first one crowed and we grinned broadly….and went back to sleep. We’re starting to quite like roosters 😉



Tags: , , ,

4 responses to “*chop*chop*”

  1. jen says:

    a different type of barber shop but who can complain at that excellent price

  2. Fiona Taylor says:

    Glad they understood the ‘little bit off’ not ‘a little bit left’!!

  3. Susan Staples says:

    Hello,
    I just started reading your blog and I was amazed as I looked at the pictures that I actually saw you taking that night in Chiang Khong. Do you remember me? The red head who was walking home from aeorbics in Chiang Khong when you were taking the picture of the barber shop at night? I was sitting here thinking, these pictures, they were taken right outside my house!! Anyway, I’m still absolutely facsinated by your journey and I pray you guys stay safe and learn a lot.

  4. katie says:

    hey!!!
    where oh where is the Self Portrait?
    mwah X

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *