BootsnAll Travel Network



rain & rabbits, fire & flowers

by Rachael
Koeln, Germany

 

The first full day of rain. From morning to night. As the afternoon wore on the Womo walls contracted almost visibly – or at least it felt like it. By dinnertime the smallest jiggle sent apparently innocent-sitting-still-children bouncing from one side right across to the other.  I guess it’s to be expected when we come here in the wettest month of the year! The rain, that is. And I suppose, the children’s energy, too.
What a blessing it was for the skies to lighten discernibly and the raindrops reduce to a level low enough to consider taking a walk by the river. The mighty Rhein rolls along, and here we are at our final official Rhein stop, right on the riverside again, a large park beside us, a magnificent bridge not far away and the famous Cologne Cathedral, it would appear, within walking distance. Of course the river continues her course northwards to Holland where she will split into no fewer than three rivers, and while we may well yet encounter her again, we will not be following her course as religiously for the next two weeks. We leave her here, at the point, which is Europe’s most flood-prone area (did I mention we are parked right beside the river and it’s been raining all day? Don’t worry – they have an extensive flood control system, which includes both permanent and mobile flood walls, protection from rising waters for buildings close to the river banks, monitoring and forecasting systems, pumping stations and programs to create or protect floodplains and river embankments.)

So we took a riverside stroll. And counted rabbits in the field – at least thirty of them, all out for an evening snack. Lifting heads from rabbit-counting, we spotted fire under the bridge and the children quickened their pace both in an effort to discover the source and also in attempt to warm up. We were warmer in Mongolia!!! Standing there in a white fireproof suit, was a competent-but-possibly-not-quite-so-confident juggler. Around and around his fire-ended batons flew, mesmerising the children. Already certain he must be a circus performer, they were convinced of his authenticity when he “blew fire” for them. And not just once, but twice. Their hearts were warmed even if their feet and fingers were not.
On the way back Tgirl5 was awed by the purple flowers all turned in the same direction, bending over gracefully to sleep for the night. Everyone joined her in her wonder when they noticed the yellow buttercuppy ones all closing up, “like squeezing their eyes shut”.

Such simple things, but a joy to behold.

Time on the road: 2 hours
Distance covered: 95km



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *