BootsnAll Travel Network



*WH*

by uninspired Rachael
30km from Carcassonne

“I don’t know what to blog about today,” I moaned.
”What do you mean? It was a beautifully scenic drive today!” Rob countered.
”It might have been, but it’s a bit boring to just write “Today the scenery was very nice. The End.””
”Just put up pictures from today then.”
”But I did that yesterday. Can’t get away with that again.”

What makes it even worse is Grandpa is sitting out on his park bench totally inspired, tapping away at his keyboard like a woodpecker that thinks there’s no tomorrow. He was invited to come for a Carcassonne match, but responded, “Not just now, not while I’m inspired to write.” Aaaahhhh, if only I could think of something.

The disciplines of writing leads me to the wh-questions.

Who?
It’s us still! Here are the kiddos yesterday:

Where?
We’re up at two and a half thousand feet in a generous layby off the one road that is winding its way over the hills.

Wooden seats nestle amongst the trees on one side of the roadway and on the other marble tables are flanked by concrete benches, all in the shade of enormous trees that proved to be a fantastic imaginative playground for a couple of hours while we prepared dinner. Oh yes, dinner. We gave it a Mediterranean name in honour of our new location – the further south we have ventured, the more Med it has looked. House colours have turned to predominantly varying shades of orange, pink and peach – roof tiles have turned from grey slate shingles with one curved edge to rounded terracotta “half-pipes”. Sunflowers still smile at us from their bonnetted faces, but there are also vineyards – row upon row of short stubby self-supporting grapevines laden with green fruit.

When?
Today.
Why were we born now? How different would life have been for us if we had been born seven hundred years ago? Who would we have been? What would we have done? Would we have travelled? It’s impossible to know. Although we certainly would not have been born in New Zealand! What if we hadn’t been born in NZ now? What if we had been born in Vietnam? Or Mongolia? I doubt we’d have been doing this.

What?
Travelling. Occasionally flirting with the idea of returning home. Not because we want to. Just because we know we have to. Grandpa asked the other day how we will cope with being stationary. He also confessed that he’s not looking forward to returning! I didn’t have an answer. Not for either of us.
I could happily keep moving – we could just keep driving down through Spain and before we’d know it we would be in Africa. Imagine that! Without time constraints we could get to know a place, not just zip through. But we are making the most of the time we have and are thankful that we are not going home in October. We could have been on the final countdown, but have a two-month reprieve….

Why?
Why not?

How?
Who cares?!

Time on the road: need to check Jboy13’s record!
Distance covered: 115km



Tags: ,

One response to “*WH*”

  1. Gene Royal says:

    “how we will cope with being stationary.” I’m with you, Grandpa.

    For several weeks now I have been reading this blog and hope, today or tomorrow to “catch up.” I’m seeing – finally – that not everyone has the same adventurous spirit we share. Rachel (name of one granddaughter, Rachel Anna – I’m sure you remember Anna and Simeon in the Temple – whose brother is Joel David – just two of my 16 grandchildren with similar names – I believe you read about Joshuah David’s ride with me on the trikes). Rachel, you have been given a special gift of expression – your writing – by my heavenly father. I hope you recognize how special it is and that it is Him through you – and that others do not have that same gift. I “see” through your eyes so much more than I would see if I traveled the same road. I have never been to Holland but you have made me want to go – though age and a precious, wonderful wife that medically should not leave the US will probably prevent that in the 10 or so years before glorious graduation. Only He knows. If I do travel to any of the places you have written about, I will read your posts each day before following in your tracks. PLEASE publish and email me when they are available.

    I am listed in Warm Showers in Lancaster, CA and would love to host you and your family – Swimming pool if in the Summer.

    Gene Royal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *