BootsnAll Travel Network



Galileo just may have been here

Certaldo, Italy….via Pisa

It is said that Galileo dropped two differing weight cannonballs from the top of what is conceivably the most famous bell tower in the world. The point he was trying to prove was one that our older children have been contemplating and experimenting with themselves in recent days, so even if it’s fable, it’s a pertinent one for us.

We didn’t drop anything from the tower with the lean.
We couldn’t hold it up either. It was taking each singleton tourist a good few minutes to get their famous photo right – what hope did we have with eight kids?????

But we were awed. It glistened white against a clear blue sky. Although for some of us, the tower was smaller than imagined, for others it was exactly the size we expected. All of us anticipated less of a lean. None of us knew it was so intricately decorated. One understood it was a bell tower with seven bells tuned to the musical scale; all were disappointed that the bells did not ring out a tune. Some didn’t know there would be a cathedral right next door; even those who did realise it was the bell tower of a church were surprised at the magnificence of the main building. Not one of us realised we were about to walk into the biggest tourist trap we’ve come across in Europe. The pedestrian road alongside the structures was lined with small stalls for a good hundred metres or more. Phenomenal. In addition to Italian, we heard German, Dutch, English, Polish and Russian…and saw saris and turbans and the chubbiest Chinese baby you ever set your eyes on. It was unbelievably hot. Later in the day we would see one of the many outdoor thermometers reading 45 degrees. No wonder the shadows cast by the buildings were crowded. We found a spot on the grass, in a cooling breeze and sat down, looked up and ate green grapes. We contemplated almost a thousand years (they began the tower in 1173). Amazing.

 

Time on the road: need to check Jboy13’s record!
Distance covered: 120km



Tags: ,

5 responses to “Galileo just may have been here”

  1. Sarah says:

    I am so enjoying following your travels! This post bought back memories of when I went to Pisa two years ago…quite different to your experience. The day I was there it was raining and bitterly cold, and there were hardly any people. I could hardly press the button on my camera my fingers were so cold! But it was amazing being there.

  2. The Baddeleys says:

    On our way to Pisa I said to Grant – I have a really good idea, when we get there take a photo of me holding up the tower – that would be really cool!!

    When we got there I was stunned to find that I was not the first or only one with that bright idea. I was giggling so much that our attempts were shockers!!

  3. Gran and Pa says:

    Your photos look just like our tower model that we picked up from a stall. Fab church as well. Are you going on to Florence? it would be worth a visit if you have the time.
    Love uall.

  4. Yvette says:

    I went to Pisa a few months back as a daytrip from Florence- I agree, it’s gotta be the biggest tourist trap of Europe! I have a good picture of all the tourists lined up for the “hold the tower” pose without the tower lined up too, which is a rather entertaining shot in itself.

  5. Susanna says:

    You stayed in Tallini with my neice Louise. My sister told me about your travels have marvelled the whole time. This trip to Pisa bought back so many memories we travelled there with our daughter 3 years ago. Loving your photos still amazed what you have done with so many kids in tow. Keep having fun.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *