BootsnAll Travel Network



how many hills will our vans cope with?

Pescia, Italy

mountain mountain mountain

hairpin bend hairpin bend hairpin bend

mountain mountain mountain

up and around up and around up and around

down down down

mountain mountain mountain

It was only 120km, but it seemed a long way. It went up and up, down and down, up and up, always around and around. Tight turns slicing the mountains. Hardly ever wide enough to be comfortable. Not a straight road in sight. With traffic constantly overtaking. Italians might *live* life with passion, but they seem to want to die spectacularly too! And when we stop them they object.
One young very good-looking bronzed Italian man in an equally fancy car (according to Grandpa who knows about such things), was forced to give way to us today. I didn’t know Rob had played chicken with him and won….I just followed directly behind The Bear Cave totally unaware there was a car waiting……only I lost. We were on one of the tightest right-hand bends of the day, and going uphill just to make it more interesting (read DIFFICULT) and it was impossible for us to get around on our side of the road. Around Rob went, obviously irritating our super-model. Around I went and the supercar lunged forward. I still don’t know where it came from! But I did understand the stream of abuse and the wildly waving hands and I slammed on the brakes. Saying “Mi scusi” through the open window did not seem to help, but the next person waited and we exchanged friendly waves as I mouthed, “Grazie” in genuinely grateful thanks.
Before long the next motorbikes were overtaking. Even on roads that barely seem wide enough for us alone. Car drivers also write their own destinies.

Meanwhile, the mountains are spectacular. Ridge after ridge stretches away into the misty distance. Quite a sight. A massive point towering above us at the beginning of the day is soon at eye level. Small villages clinging to the rocks line the roadside; even where there is a collection of a mere half dozen homes, it is given a name. Men and women sit in balconies facing away from the sun. In the larger villages they congregate in the shadow of the main road, maybe standing, maybe sitting on a chair especially brought out to the roadside, always talking. Off in the distance a row of orange roofs outlines yet another ridge. Nearer at hand we are trying to squeeze through the village market. There’s only one road and we have to take it. Rob also takes a beach ball, while I make contact with the overhanging stall shadecloth. Everyone signals wildly, babbles earnestly, urging us to move over (to where???) It’s so ridiculous it’s funny.

Up and down, around and through (tunnels) we go.

After three hours something is different.
The road is straight. And flat.
The mountains are behind us.

Suddenly our destination appears on a signpost with an unbelievable 12km written beside it. But as is so often the case, even though we are close, we are still a long time off. Our chosen town will supposedly have free space for three motorhomes and we are hoping to be two of them. According to the book, it will be signposted. Ha. How many times do we drive through the town looking for a sign, any sign – a motorhome, a signpost, a picture, anything. When eventually we find the sign it leads to a roundabout lacking further instructions, and so we end up to-ing and fro-ing further around the town! FINALLY, we find the spot. And there is only one other motorhome in it. YAY. A good spot it is too – right next to a tree-filled park with grass and park benches and public water supply, the old town a short walk away across a bridge, a magnificent church right across the road. The hills rise up around us.
We got through.

Time on the road: need to check Jboy13’s record!
Distance covered: 135km



Tags: ,

5 responses to “how many hills will our vans cope with?”

  1. Fiona Taylor says:

    Hooray!!!! Glad you made it one piece. This will make great telling for your grandchildren in years to come 🙂

  2. Seannon says:

    I have to say thank you for writing this blog. I have just spent the last three days reading the entire thing- my family kept asking me if I was STILL READING THE BLOG.

    Yes, I was, and it was wonderful. I wanted to do a round-the-world trip after I graduated college, but lack of funds forced me to drop out, and before I could go back I was married with stepkids- which makes working and going to school difficult!

    I can’t imagine that travel will be so much harder with my family (3 adults, 2 kids) than with yours. Seeing that it CAN be done, and well, with kids in tow, has been very inspiring.

    Thank you for your wonderful blog!

  3. Tara (from Palmerston North) says:

    Okay one question. Are you like driving AND taking photos? I have this mental picture of you driving looking through your camera – it’s very funny.

    Tara

  4. rayres says:

    Seannon – thanks for the humbling comment – we’ve sent you an email.
    Tara….you’re a ning-nong!!!!! Well, actually, not quite. On one occasion Rob DID take a photo while driving, but we gave him such a hard time about swerving on the road that he hasn’t since!! The front seat passengers do the photographing. My eyes rarely leave the road!!

  5. Tara (from Palmerston North) says:

    ha ha ha – on the ning nang nong where the cows go bong and all the monkeys do say boo!

    I lurrrrve food, especially trying new foods – my mouth waters at your foody photos.

    Tara

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *