BootsnAll Travel Network



The life of Pai

Perhaps a good rule of thumb is to never email while angry, lonely or drunk; well apart from the latter i am sticking to that.

LESSON ONE: Meeting people is easy in Pai (known here as Utopai, get it?) Every night i fall into having dinner with different people, from all walks of life, ages, ethnicities – its an amazing opportunity. i have learnt that sitting at the bar is a good opportunity to talk to other folks travelling alone, and also to drink way too many gins as the conversation rolls on.

LESSON TWO: Nobody looks cool in thongs – Thailand is the great equaliser – each to their own.

LESSON THREE: Locals hold the key to the spirit of a place. Tomorrow i am going on a motorbike ride with some locals to Mae Hon Song (exploring caves) then to some hot springs for the afternoon, will be lush.

LESSON FOUR: When in Thailand eat Thai, everything else is mimicry and hideous shite to be honest. i should also really just give up on the coffee front. in Bangkok i was, on the sly, dunking my imported coffee bags into a mug of instant because it was too hard to ask for just hot water.

LESSON FiVE: These is no such thing as boredom. Even without any distraction (telephone, tv, music, conversation) i can ‘do nothing’ and not be bored. in fact i love my little hammock ritual of the afternoon, just lulling above the river and letting the world go by.

Enough lessons for today.



Tags:

Comments are closed.