BootsnAll Travel Network



in the foothills of Northern Thailand

After only two intoxicating days in bangkok staying in chinatown, i am already in northern thailand.

i started reading way too much lonely planet and got anxious that i didn’t have enough time to go where i wanted to in the 3 weeks i have before heading to london. so last night after having a luscious thai massage and having my hair braided on khao-san rd, i navigated my way to catch an overnight train to Chiang Mai. i got a sleeper and then as the sun rose i got to take in the magic views of forest, misty mountains, fields, villages rolling past.

When i arrived i had a heavy negotiation with a tuktuk driver intent on taking me to his commissioned guest houses and telling me the ones i wanted were no longer in operation, after literally hundreds of “no”, “not interested”, “just pull over”, “stop”, he realised i was not bluffing. so i found myself a quiet, family run, guest house encircling a garden, with my own room/bath for 120 baht a night ($4). i am on my way to the night bazaar markets and maybe to find some other travellers to talk to – now 72 hours into the journey, the silence is kind of deafening.

i will stay here a few nights before taking a bus to Nan.



Tags:

Comments are closed.