BootsnAll Travel Network



Windy Wellington

“Windy Wellington” proved its name and fame for my first two days here.  Gusty, drenching weather that made you want to roost under the cover of a parka or a good book.  Since it certainly didn’t make me want to take off sight-seeing, the extent of my initial Wellington experiences included: food court Chinese and movie with a Dutch girl, collecting parking tickets as a hobby, and a hostel “bar tour” (complete with silly games, wildly-decorated clubs, too much 80’s music, and dancing dancing dancing). 

Today I awoke to a new town wearing a blue dress.  I happily yanked my bike from storage and took off to check out the cable cars, botanical gardens, waterfront pathways, national museum, and–cover your eyes mama–the local aeroclub.  It’s a great town actually–a lot like Seattle, although stationary biking against the waterfront headwind also made me think of Turnagain Arm (Alaska). 

Tomorrow, I finally make the leap…or assisted swim….down to the South Island.  As a visit to the OT Board today granted me “at least 4-6 more weeks,” I anticipate plenty of time to roll slowly, hike, bike, and pull my money like putty.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.