BootsnAll Travel Network



Upside down once again

I had a tradition to keep up:  leaving for a trip with a sachet of nerves and sadness, excitement and procrastinated packing.  Hauling too heavy bags that make onlookers in airports ask: “How many bodies you have in there?!”  The strange disorienting flights, sipping Quantas hot cocoa in my complimentary slippers while watching Kung Fu Panda.  Then, HERE I AM.  I arrive in Auckland airport and the immigration officer says:  “Welcome back Cynthia. Cheers, Mate!” I know that I am in the right place after all and casually collect my complimentary tea while I wait for my bodybags.

Since my flight arrived at 4:45am, I had the treat of watching the sunrise, cornily symbolic, on my way in to Hamilton.  A gorgeous transition—streaky dawn bits, fog crouching down through the hills, sheep tumbling down into it.  I could even see the cows’ breath as we drove by and somehow that served me a bit of peace. 

I was told it’s been raining here for the past 5 weeks.  A cold, flooding rain.  But, for my first day, I had sunshine.  As I biked from potential apartment to potential apartment I marveled that this looks like no winter I’ve ever seen.  Really.  Flowering trees, green grass, and they say the snow in the mountains a couple hours South is FANTASTIC.  Good thing I paid for that 70lb snowboard bag to come with me!

However, as I swapped cellphones today—cheap American Nokia for cheap Kiwi Nokia—I was reminded again what’s painfully missing from the Southern Hemisphere.  I just hope that they all know how much I love them.   



Tags: ,

One response to “Upside down once again”

  1. Savuth says:

    Have fun Cindy!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.