BootsnAll Travel Network



Travelling the Mekong

Because of scheduling needs, Kristin and I have now had the opportunity to traverse the Mekong River between the border of Thailand and Luang Prabang, Laos TWICE. Initially we had the leisurely 2-day float in the well-named “Slow Boat.” We snickered at people flying by huddled and helmeted in the “Speedboats,” feeling a bit cocky because we had made the “smart decision” and heeded the guidebook warnings that these boats “crash with alarming frequency.” Well, today we swallowed our smugness as we experienced what it was like to pierce the river in a needle-nosed craft. Good opportunity to laugh at the contrast:

TIME:
To cover the 850km, it takes 33 hours in THE SLOW BOAT, including a night’s stay in a village and the confusing 1 1/2 hours each morning waiting for the official push-off. In the SPEEDBOAT, it takes 6 hours. Sometimes. Maybe 7 others. For us, it took 9.

SEATING:
In the SLOW BOAT, we balanced on 6-inch plank benches or confidently lounged in open sills, shoulder to shoulder with the 100+ other “cattle.” In the SPEEDBOAT, we sat huddled on the boat’s floor, hugging our knees, shoulder to shoulder, two by two, with 6 others.

SAFETY GEAR:
In the SLOW BOAT, the safety gear consisted of a villager’s canoe that might retrieve you if you fall off the back [This really did happen; guy looked a little sheepish and wet when he reboarded.] In the SPEED BOAT, the safety gear consisted of ear plugs, tattered life jackets OR extra-large, broken helmets that weather-vaned when you turned your head.

SOCIAL SCENE:
In the SLOW BOAT, you had time, and more time, to sit and share snacks and trade life stories with your neighbors. In the SPEEDBOAT, being social consisted of sharing faces of humor or alarm (“Rock!”) and exchanging pleasantries while marooned on the beach together (more later).

ENGINES:
The SLOW BOAT engine putters loudly but steadily, like a trusty tractor. The SPEED BOAT engine buzzes excitedly like a giant mosquito…..until it stops altogether. That’s when your captain motions you onto the beach, tosses you life jackets, and then buzzes away with all your belongings. Twice. Finally his “I can fix it pride” wore off and we were tossed into another speedboat.

SCENERY:
In the SLOWBOAT, if you saw something of interest approaching, you had plenty of time to search for your camera, reposition yourself in the boat, maybe even compose a song for the villagers there. ; ) In the SPEEDBOAT, the scenery flings itself at you in wide-open splendor, then flies past like the Pringles from your can.

ANALOGIES:
If the boats were fair rides, the SLOW BOAT would be a merry-go-round (going, going, how nice, yawn). The SPEEDBOAT would be a rollercoaster….but one of those really old wooden ones that kind of hurt.

Ha ha, OK you get the point.
Tomorrow we leave for THE GIBBON EXPERIENCE: hiking, living in treehouses, ziplining through the forest. Wee! : D



Tags: , ,

One response to “Travelling the Mekong”

  1. John says:

    Hey Darlin,

    I have been a way from my hotmail account for awhile. I just checked it to find out that this blog of yours was in existence.

    Hope your travels abroad are wonderful and safe!

    Take care!

    John

    PS. I’ll let you know when the baby gets here!

  2. admin says:

    Great to hear from you Papa John!!!
    I’m sure the excitement is building–DEFINITELY let me know when the baby’s out in the world!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.