BootsnAll Travel Network



The continuing list of things I have learned in Africa…

1. A “unisex saloon” is NOT a gay bar.
2. There IS such a thing as “stray zebras”; they graze peacefully with goats.
3. Calls of “Mzungu” is neither negative nor positive; it simply means “Hey! A purse with ears!!”
4. Internet in the middle of the jungle run by solar power is…..expensive. : )
5. In order to walk through the Bwindi Forest you need two armed guards with machine guns and machetes (apparently jungle elephants can be MEAN).
6. Looking a mountain gorilla in the eyes is exhilerating, oddly-familiar, and a little unnerving.
7. How to make a super-loud “aiyaiyaiyeeee” that may come in handy getting a taxi or driving off unwanted guests.
8. Nipples with silver tassles exist outside of Vegas.
9. It can HAIL in Africa.
10. You can carve a bicycle out of wood. Well, at least SOMEONE can.
11. Cranes can grow to man-eating size.
12. Children have to be taught prejudice. Until then, a smile and two hands for waving make you similar enough to be instant friends.
13. Even after scrubbing yourself for 20 minutes in a hot shower, you will still turn the white towel red when you dry off.
14. Stereotypes just ARE. Upon meeting you are either confirming or dismissing what’s already assumed. And of course it doesn’t just go in one direction.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.