BootsnAll Travel Network



Reunion

After 10 months primarily surrounded by new batches of strangers, I got something this weekend that I’ve been craving—the company of a close friend.  Kristin even forgave me for being late to pick her up at the airport.  Before your jaw drops disapprovingly, I had a very good excuse:  the waltz had at least 4 verses.  At the time her plane was landing, I was helping a 95 year old man with a shower, a task that refuses rushing.  Helping him to the bench made him ask if I wanted to dance; dancing made him think of the waltz competitions he had won with his wife; thoughts of waltzing made him feel like singing one.  So, he did….eyes closed, voice in vibrato echoing in tiled walls. After several minutes, I tried “subtle” hints like handing him his glasses, his shoes, but no response.  I tried less subtle hints like interrupting: “it’s time to go back to your room.”  But, he hadn’t dipped her yet.  So, I squatted and waited until the audience had applauded, they had executed their bow, and his eyes opened once again in the steamy shower room.   

The skies were in a good mood all weekend, something I never take for granted in Alaska.  On Saturday, we went kayaking.  Despite my faulty map-reading that sent us riding the ocean swells toward a distant rock in pursuit of sea otters, we had a very pleasant paddle under eagles and jets, beside sea lions and fishing boats.  That night, we peered at Sitka “night life” which consisted of very loud dance music in an under-populated “club” and some fake smoke that made me sneeze.  Early to bed, however, since we had decided on an impulsive (and insane) adventure for the next day:  surfing.  Well, to our mental disappointment (but physical relief?) the trip was over-booked, delivering us instead to a day of small hikes, drives, and larger pastries. 

After hours of “hanging out,” revisiting old Kidability and Anchorage memories, and trading pictures, I unearthed this quote saved on my laptop (new to me thanks to the absence of a short-term memory) that feels as true as it (probably) did the first time:

“Sooner or later we all discover that the important moments in life are not the advertised ones, not the birthdays, the graduations, the weddings, not the great goals achieved. The real milestones are less prepossessing. They come to the door of memory unannounced, stray dogs that amble in, sniff around a bit and simply never leave. Our lives are measured by these” Susan B Anthony.

[And no, Kristin, I’m not likening you to a stray dog ; )  ]

 

 



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.