BootsnAll Travel Network



Reality goes Retrograde

I opened a saved “draft” that I never posted and laughed. In it, I sadly mentioned an unforeseen countdown: leaving New Zealand in a week to go work in Alaska for the summer. Now, thanks to writing’s procrastinations, that post is mute. For now. Maybe I should save it for next month? Because now, once again, I am wandering “sans a plan”: a backpacker whose backpack lies untouched in a trunk, a future Kiwi without a job or home, a “professional” without hope of a paycheck’s salvation, a traveling junkie who still squeals when the road twists and reveals a new view, an optimist who knows that this is still all part of life’s finest.

For the past month I had a great touring friend–someone to share in the search for life’s grins, thrills, and good food. However, now that he’s gone home and I’ve been given another one-month waiting ticket, I need to find a way to revert from seafood and fine wine back to noodles flavored with tuna and soup powder. I had also decided after watching a frowning girl mop a hostel bathroom that I didn’t need to sink that low; now I’m eagerly jotting down “help wanted” phone numbers. Even my journey with Gerti has been a bit topsy-turvy.  We left Aukland and sunk down to the South; now we are bubbling back up to the surface at the Northlands.

Someone recently told me that since New Zealand is so backwards and upside-down, I must feel like I’m standing upright for the first time. I think he’s right. 🙂



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.