BootsnAll Travel Network



Heat Stroke Stream of Consciousness

New room, air pleases, but stepping out’s a greater whack. Amazing efficiency of bathroom plumbing–“dump and scrub” stalls with the shower nozzle mounted right on the side. Too much stuff, fills my cubby, what might those “We Buy Everything” street folk take off my hands? Blowdryer’s first to go—what was I thinking?!?—and maybe snacks can be bartered for Spring Rolls. Licked my dad’s orange chocolate bar from the wrapper though. My sister would be pleased how, biteless, this allowed for “respecting the chocolate.” So many sounds yesterday—chimes in the Wat Phra Kaew, nice soundtrack for the overwhelming ornateness and calm worshippers. Horns honking, tuk-tuks slowing next to the sidewalk: “Yes?” Legs of lead, I’m easily seduced by the windy motorbikes. The late night cacophony–cheering, hip hop, loud murmurs under my balcony–blissfully buffered by ear plugs (those can stay) to allow for a hard sleep. Images too, floating like suspended “stupas” from the temples jutting into the sky. Buddha, reclined, seated 394 times and ways behind glass, or imitated by a creepy Ronald McDonald on Khao San Road. Worshippers—lighting candles, incense, tapping heads with lotus, dropping tiny coins into tinkling bowls, bowing, peeling gold flakes, offering sodas and cigarettes. Learning that, socially, every Thai male is expected to become a monk for a period–week to lifetime–explains their proliferance around town. Maybe now I can stop stalking them for photos. Vendors filling the Vegas-like strip of Khao San Road. Braids, skirts, tattoos, noodles, bugs, jewelry, journals, belts abound. Hard to peel my eyes from the absurd squeaky duck who sticks his tongue out and the flask-sized lighters that would torch your hair if you actually used them. Nothing unnoticed, we have lines of duck and flame vendors, sure they can break my resolve for these obviously coveted items.

P.S. Photos up and secret “hidden” ones in this post. ; )



Tags: , ,

-1 responses to “Heat Stroke Stream of Consciousness”

  1. Katherine says:

    Hello darling!

    Your description reminds me instantly of time I spent in the Phillipines. Good girl for bringing ear plugs. I wasn’t so smart!

    Well, in honor of Halloween, it has dumped snow here and so our little pumpkins are frozen to the front porch. Hooray! Hopefully some good skiing is on its way. Quite a contrast to Thailand.

    Eat lots of adventurous, yummy, food for me!

    Love to you, Katherine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.