BootsnAll Travel Network



Cindy’s not a Swami

Two computers, lines of people, 15 minutes means just enough time to sloppily tap out the basics:  YES!  I’ve arrived at the ashram in India.  YES!  My system is a bit in shock although a nap and a shower brought back some humanity.  I snickered at the ashram’s suggestion to “pack very lightly; the swamis only carry small shoulder bags.”  Instead I arrived with 47 kgs, a laptop, a winter coat in arms. 

Just the first impressions as I fear that I’ll forget the shocks as “ashram life” becomes normal by month’s end.

  • Beautiful setting, a bit jungle-like, booming 10 minute thunderstorm drowning out the instructions during yoga class and necessitating all mats be scooted inch by inch away from open doorways
  • I sleep in a line of cots, complimentary bug netting, sweet Indian cubicle-mate named Divya
  • Mealtimes are also a bit linear….lines of people sitting on straw floormats, large tin plate in front heaped with earth-colored food.  Nope, no silverware; all scoop and slurp with fingertips.
  • The first yoga class was mostly a change to notice all the spots amiss in my body:  the inflexible spine, sore spot in my back, ungiving muscles.  I noticed it all calmly with the hope that I’ll notice all melt away within a couple weeks.

Tomorrow I fear that meditation will begin.  A designated time to feel butt bones bruise and limbs fall asleep while I daydream and curse myself for it.  Getting used to sloppy Indian food will be a very small challenge compared to getting used to trying to kick extraneous thoughts out of my head. 

Wish me luck!  : )

 



Tags:

-2 responses to “Cindy’s not a Swami”

  1. Savuth says:

    What you’re not supposed to let your mind wander when meditating? You’ll have to teach me later. ; )

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.