BootsnAll Travel Network



briefly from the brain tired

As an internet addict now of sorts, I feel driven to plant myself in this seat even though my brain feels a little coated with dust, dizzied by traffic, depleted from navigating everyday activities.

I just returned from a cultural dance show, second I’ve seen here in Kampala. I’m mesmerized by the drumming and the amazing sounds that can come from vocal cords. And the dancing is fantastic! I would almost call it the amazing art of butt worship. Every style of costume and dance highlights the ample behind with chunks of fur, grass skirts, scarves, and a strongly arched back. Oh if only this could catch on in America, women could happily flush the Weight Watchers for good and join in the proud ass-shaking!

Yesterday I spent the day in Nsambya Babies’ Home where they take in abandoned infants, some with injuries or HIV. There are 20+ kids there now ranging from a few months to 3+ years. After a couple cuties looked at me with an earnest “sou sou!” I finally caught on that it wasn’t a sweet attempt at saying my name, but instead meant “I’m going to pee in the next 15 seconds.” As a diaper-less environment, I can suffice to say that I don’t think I’ll wear that skirt again this trip. : ) The ladies there take great care of these kids, but my heart still hurts from what I saw–nearly all of them coughing and with sticky noses, tight hugs that didn’t stop and tears when it had to, toddlers fighting over an empty plastic bottle, the amazing independence in which tiny kids went through their routines. Sigh. If I were a better person, I would have already adopted at least 10 kids this trip.

I have to admit that right now I’m feeling…..a little drained dealing with the cultural, racial, social aspects of being here on my own the past few days. As much as I am grateful for things that take me outside my comfort zone and force me to rethink my point of view, the Amsterdam airport also seems like an unreal haven ahead of me. But in the interest of becoming a better-immersed visitor, I now have a single black braided hair extension, have had a brief lesson in how to shake my ass African style, and have mangaged not to fall off riding side-saddle on a boda boda (motorbike taxi). : )

Tomorrow: Happy Independence Day Uganda! I am being taken to Entebbe to see the beaches on Lake Victoria, visit the zoo, and get a full patterned manicure/pedicure with my sweet companion and guide. [She tried to talk me into a full head of braided extensions. Should I do it? ; ) ]

Sula bulunji–



Tags: , , ,

-18 responses to “briefly from the brain tired”

  1. shaz says:

    Bimp —

    I laughed, I cried, you moved me Bimp … oh my, now I am quoting Veggie Tales … but Cindy, I just now caught up on your blogs and loved them … and I did laugh … and my eyes did tear up … you literally transported me from Minnesota USA to Iganga Province in seconds … amazing … from the red dust that I still find on my q-tips to my new affection for goat meat …

    But what most hit home are the beautiful and warm people of Uganda … with their kind smiles and shaking butts … these friends pop into my mind throughout the day and I worry and wonder how they are … how you could come to love a partner in ministry in only days is truly a gift from above …

    I miss my new pals … and I miss my sis … I know you are busy but how about if we sneak down next weekend?

    Love ya and am super proud of ya,
    your right seat partner

  2. Katherine says:

    Hey Cindy! Many waves of love to you across the ocean. I just logged on to your blog for the first time today and am so glad to see you in it. Sounds like you’re living right up on the edge-so exhilirating.

    I am finally settled in to my new home with JP & Alex; we’re having lots of fun! Tonight is Alex’s dance rehearsal night, so I came home and went for a nice long run. The sun was just starting to set on the horizon by the time I got home. You know that long, October, fall light. The leaves are almost all gone from the trees. Now I have a meatloaf in the oven for dinner! I’ve been having a real need for comfort food lately and have made soup and bread already this week. I love cooking when JP does all the dishes!

    Anyway, miss you, think of you often, wish you were closer so that we could go out for coffee! Love, Katherine

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.