BootsnAll Travel Network



Bookmarks

I love how seemingly little events are such great bookmarks that can immediately take you to another story, another place, on a calendar already put in the trash. Juxtaposed with the current bearings, memories and reality can be glued in unusual ways.

HALLOWEEN. Immediately makes me think of Humpy’s in Alaska. Last year, poking everyone on the dance floor with poorly thought-out wings, I was a “travel bug.” This year, I am fittingly in Thailand. Sadly devoid of live music, I spent the night on an overly-cramped bus followed by a stomach-churning boat. I had decided to scat from the hustle bustle ping pong showed congested fume-filled city of Bangkok. Now, I’ve found palm trees and ocean in Koh Tao-the simple life. No, literally, I checked into a bungalow called The Simple Life. The name seemed winsome until I realized its meaning was, once again, literal. The bathroom plumbing (always good for chuckles) consists of a bucket and bowl for “flushing” and a wall-mounted nozzle a bit like blasting yourself with a hose at close range. I just “decorated” my room by scattering clothes and toiletries as far as I could from the bed. If “bed bugs” aren’t just confined to a bed, don’t tell me until after I check out. ; )

FULL MOON. Two months ago under a brilliant full moon I crossed the border from Canada into Montana. Never intended to drive in the dark, but a friend outside Banff easily talked me into the pleasures of good Chinese food and swinging off a cliff from a rope swing. So, very very dark it was. Few buildings, unless you count extra large hay bales as shelter. Deer daring each other to dart right in front of me on the road. Hills and a wide open world. Last month, I was in Africa. Watched the fat orange moon rise from behind a building in Kampala, slightly overshadowed by the visual feast of bikes and cars and people. Now, in two days, Kristin arrives and we go to “The Full Moon Party” in Koh Phangan. Another bookmark to bring me back here years from now.

Footnote: Curious what a “ping pong show” is? Take your wildest imagination, remember that we’re talking about Thailand, and then make your idea 100 times smuttier. : 0



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.