BootsnAll Travel Network



Fussen, Germany

Castle Neuswanstein. Known also as The Cinderella castle, The Disney castle. Now there´s a king with taste.

Spent a night there and saw the 2 castles, Neuswanstein and Schwangau, by tour on the first day. They were gorgeous. Ludwig II, now there´s a man with taste.

I think I took more than 500 photos (even though partly due to exposure bracketing) of this castle, in trying to capture the best setting.

Now everyone posts pictures of this castle, and none are from the front view. Thats the famous view, used too often, but with the greatest scenic effect. I wanted to get this view but no one knew how. What I had not realized is that many people are not interested in the best photo, maybe some are too lazy, to explore or walk mountains to get a good view.

After the tour it was late, and I wanted to get the castle with the sunset behind it, so the only high points easily accessible were on a trail. So I followed this trail quickly, scrambling up the mountain as the sun set. I got a few good shots, not the famous one, but some nice shots of the castle with a sun going down. I wanted to stay to watch it set, but I had a timing issue, the hostel did not check people in at the time I was there and only in set hours, and it was half an hour min down the mountain, half an hour down the road to the main bus, and then the bus trip to town and the walk back. After scurying down, too bad because it was a nice sunset, the buses to Fusse had a two hour gap so I decided it would be wise to walk back to town. They guy at the food stand must have thought I was really hungry because after I bought the only food left as he was closing, he gave me bread and said here, take it, eat it. I got back in time to check in.

The second day, I know where that photo was taken from, you have to cross private property and take a dangerous climb. Now the farmers were working in the field when I got there, so decided to hold off. Instead there was a lift nearby, and I headed for that.

There was a great picture of the castle from the cablecar. At the top, I took a hike looking for a nother vantage point, and could not find any so instead it might be fun to climb the peak of the mountain. There was a decent outcrop of rocks near the first summit that needed climbing, and I went up there. It was a great view. Other side, a higher point. So I head over to the other point. This one had a small climb up some rocks as well, some tourists heading towards the lower peak of the mountain stoped to watch I think because I could hear their comments all the way up there. It was a great view. Except to the right. A higher peak. Well, why not already up here, a little hike, then the top there was not really any rocks to climb, just some steep scrambling. There were some really nice flowers up there, now why would flowers grow at the very peak. Wait, turn around. Well i´ll be, another peak. Alright, tired of this, I walked that way to get back to the lift. The trail went so close I went over to it anyway, then headed on the trail again towards the lift. It came out right at the restaurant near the lift.

A nice scramble back to Munich and luckily found a room in one of the three hostels beside each other right outside the train station. Innsbruck next.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *