BootsnAll Travel Network



Finally, I used my umbrella….

So I finally used my umbrella after 6 weeks here. I guess you do need an umbrella, despite not using it much. It came in handy when it rained all day and the walk to the station. It’s rather cold if you don’t have a warm place.

After that I decided that I can’t live without heat and decided to go and try to get a heater. Since we don’t have a dryer, my clothes have to dry for 2 days to almost get dry. That just PROVES there is no heat in the house. Yesterday I complained, and later the radiator made some funny noise for a half hour, but still no heat. Failing a heater, I used some candles that I got at ASDA. It really did help, as I let them burn while I was sleeping. And also I blocked the fresh air intake into the room, though there’s still lots of draft. Some people say you don’t need heat, though below 10 Celsius all night and even during the day sometimes really does get to you eventually. Oh, and hot water would be nice too.

On the plus side, the bank got back to me about my new pins.  So now i have some money.

Anyhow, now that I’ve ranted about that, I’m going to search more for a heater tonight and complain to the landlord again. Maybe even look for a new place. Take it easy.



Tags:

-50 responses to “Finally, I used my umbrella….”

  1. ajstud says:

    I am sorry for not keeping in touch. I remember you though, just I just don’t know how to use your blog. I hope you have a wonderful trip. It seems like you are having a fun time. Keep in touch and phone me collect. (Written by Anonymous. )

  2. Barbara says:

    Hi there,

    How are things going? I am glad you got your pin all sorted out, and happy that you are finally experiencing the real weather out there. Things are pretty good here. The weather was a bit rainy for the past couple of days, but now it is sunny, and was actually quite warm today. James (an old Ph.D. student of Mike’s who got a faculty position at the U of A) is up this week, and so we went out drinking tonight. Right now I am absolutely toasted. This is the life of a grad student. We work so hard during the day, and drink drink drink until we can’t anymore during the day (perhaps because we are too drunk, but more often because we cannot afford to….hahah!).
    Anyways, have fun, don’t forget to keep this blog updated. Bye.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Geoff if you can’t get any heat just buy one of those portable space heaters and crank it up! Eventually the power bill will convince your landlord to change his evil ways. And if that doesn’t work you can … well … complain … as in … legal action! Lawsuits Geoff! Lots of lawsuits! Anyhow I’ve almost got my own blog setup. You inspired me! See … you should be an inspirational speaker when you get back from your travels.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *