BootsnAll Travel Network



A Little On Antarctica & What I’ll Be Doing

Antarctica is the highest, driest, coldest, windiest, and emptiest place on earth. An ice sheet covers approximately 98% of the continent. At its thickest point the ice sheet is 4,776 meters deep. The ice is approximately 90% of all the world’s ice (by volume) and is 70% of all the world’s fresh water. There are many penguins and abundant sea life along the coast, but there is little life on the continent, and there are no indigenous peoples.

The mean annual temperature at McMurdo Station is 0 degrees Farenheit, while it is -56 degrees Farenheit at the South Pole Station. The weather at McMurdo is divided into 3 classes which determine work and travel restrictions. Condition 3 is defined as having wind less than 48 knots, wind chills warmer than -75 degrees Farenheit, and visibility greater than ¼ mile. This is considered the NORMAL weather condition in McMurdo. Condition 1 is defined by having 1 or more of the following conditions: wind speeds greater than 55 knots, wind chills colder than -100 degrees Farenheit, or visibility less than 100 feet. Only mission critical travel is permitted in this condition. Condition 2 falls somewhere in between. We work in Condition 1 & 2.

No nation owns Antarctica. The Antarctic Treaty, which has been signed by 45 countries, reserves the area as a zone for the peaceful conduct of research. McMurdo Station is the largest US research facility in Antarctica. It is located on the southern tip of Ross Island and lies 2,415 miles south of Christchruch, New Zealand, and 850 miles north of the South Pole. The National Science Foundation, through the United States Antarctic Program, coordinates US scientific research in the Antarctic. Research performed in and around McMurdo includes marine and terrestrial biology, biomedicine, geology and geophysics, glaciology and glacial geology, meteorology, aeronomy, and upper atmosphere physics. During the austral summer the population of scientists and support personnel at McMurdo often exceeds 1,100 people. In the austral winter, the population drops to roughly 250 people.

My job title while here is Vehicle Operator or Shuttle Driver. I am “responsible for maintaining a safe, friendly, and timely shuttle and taxi service.” My essential duties and responsibilities are to “operate shuttle service vehicles on varying road surfaces in inclement weather conditions with consideration for passenger safety.” Vehicles include 12 passenger vans, passenger deltas, airport passenger shuttles, and a 56 passenger Terra Bus.

The job includes providing Scott Base (the Kiwi station) shuttle service during the Ice Runway phase; providing morning and evening shift change for the 109th AW personnel; providing on call taxi service and assists with dispatching calls during office shifts; performing bellboy pickup service upon request; picking up and dispersing flight lunches for all passenger flights as required; picking up and transporting all passengers and flight crew members to and from the airfield ramp; and conducting tours for the USAF C-141 and C-17 crew members.



Tags: ,

Comments are closed.