BootsnAll Travel Network



Twist of Fate

I’ve been away from home 9 months to the day.  I’ve managed (thanks to a layover in Madrid from Argentina to Namibia) to step foot on all 7 continents in that time.  And in that time, a life’s worth of memories have been created.

It’s time for me to come home.

Originally India was going to be my first destination.  It was the hope and dream of exploring this vast country along with neighboring Nepal and Tibet that found me saving dollars for the last 4 years in order to spend roughly 12 months traveling through this region of the world.  But, as it has turned out, daydreaming about India was instead a catalyst for an entirely different adventure that I otherwise would not have dared to imagine… driving Ivan the Terra in Antarctica; backpacking in Patagonia; camping in the bush in Africa; reuniting with the best of friends from past travels; and creating new frienships to last a lifetime.

I am ready to come home.

Trekking through the Himalayas, visiting the monasteries and temples of this spiritual land, watching the colors and customs change across the miles… are all things I am certain I would still like to do some day, but in this moment, joining my family for the 2nd Almlie reunion and celebrating my 33rd birthday in their company is frankly far more enticing.  I’ve come to realize more than ever how much “home” (yep, the good ole USofA) is where my heart is.

Hope to see you soon.



Tags:

One Response to “Twist of Fate”

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Not sure where you are going to set up “permanent camp” but I have a job opening in Boulder.

    🙂

    CJ

    Safe trip home.

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Michel Says:

    ”A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it there”

    Thanks for the blogs from last months !!

    Michel

  4. Posted from Netherlands Netherlands
  5. Anonymous Says:

    I’ve lurked your blog the past couple months. With envy I’ve read, wishing I, the 35-year-old married mother of two, could walk in your shoes. Or wishing I’d tried on shoes like it before the rest of my life began. Thanks for sharing, especially this last one. Shakespeare said something like ‘Not all who wander are lost’ – and Bon Jovi said ‘who says you can’t go home?’ 🙂 Thanks for the daydreams and inspiration. Safe travels.

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. paul hoskins Says:

    It’s been cool to watch and hear about your travels. I wish you a safe return and very happy birthday.
    Welcome home.
    ph

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Erik Says:

    Erica,

    I think ‘Ivan’ misses you. He’s probably coming out of his ‘thaw’ right now. It’s about a week before WinFly in MacTown, but another 2.5 months down here at the Pole.

    I hope I get just as much travelling done as you. Wow, what an experience!

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Gretchen Says:

    Erika,
    thank you for your well written and interesting stories. I’ll be a first year shuttle driver this year (2007) and reading what you said was very helpful to me. You had so many wonderful adventures on the ice, I hope to have many as well.
    I don’t know if you still see these replies, or if you can reply to me (my first time even reading someone’s blog) but if you can i’d love any advice you want to pass on.
    Cheers.

  12. Posted from United States United States