BootsnAll Travel Network



Chandra Tal Lake

Although my time in India was short, I did manage one memorable trip with a local guide and his family. Hiralal was selected from many to guide myself and 3 Israeli friends on a 3 week trek across the Himalayas beginning in Himachal Pradesh and ending in Ladakh. I never did embark on that journey, but prior to its departure Hiralal invited the 4 of us to join him and his family on an overnight trip to Chandra Tal Lake high in the Mulkilla & Lahaul Range. After a rather exasperating start to my stay in India, this journey warmed my heart. Himala’s family was charming and generous. The long dirt road to Chandra Tal was equally alarming and alluring. And the lake itself was magical. I won’t soon forget these people who shared this precious time with me and whom kept watch over me in the days to follow as I lay ill. I hope to return to Manali some day to greet them all with a warm embrace and to make the trek that eluded me this stay.

Mountain roads
The drive was absolutely terrifying. One lane dirt roads with no barriers.
Cars racing & passing at full speed. But the scenery was breathtaking.

Traffic jam
A truck stop if you will.

Traffic jam
Busy road

Snow!
The line of cars leading to this patch of snow was bumper to bumper for at
least a mile. This small patch entertained skiers, sledders & more!

Roadside stop
Nine adults & 2 children piled in to this small jeep for the journey!

Tea break
Our ‘convenience store’ stop for food & chai tea.

Mountains
Mulkilla & Lahaul Range

Ladies
Falave, Munu & Gudi

Me & Mayaan
Me & Mayaan at Chandra Tal

Hiralal & friend
Hiralal & friend

The Gang
Roe, Khakeram, Raj, Me, Hiralal, Mayaan, Gudi, Falave, Munu, Pankeg

Reflections of Chandra Tal…

Chandra Tal

Chandra Tal

Walk Chandra



Tags:

2 Responses to “Chandra Tal Lake”

  1. Akshay Says:

    Hi,
    Can you give me the contact details for your guide/ Hiralal. I am planning to make this trek and need guide/porters for the same.

    Thanks,

  2. Posted from India India
  3. Bali Says:

    Please accept my congraulation for creating a wonderful photographs of chander Tal lake.I have never seen such beautiful images of this lake. As i run a portal on Himachal i will be glad if you kindly permit me to publish two /three images on 123himachal.com.I will duly acknowlege your credit.

  4. Posted from India India