BootsnAll Travel Network



Denver to Christchurch

Here I am reporting live from McMurdo Base Station, Ross Island, Antarctica. My journey to get here began at Denver International Airport on Tuesday, October 4th. I was scheduled to board a plane at 4:19pm, which I did, but due to an inoperable transponder on the aircraft, I de-boarded the plane an hour later. We were fist told that there was no replacement aircraft available and that we would need to meet with an agent to see about finding space on another flight bound for Los Angeles. This seemed a potentially difficult proposition since there was an entire flight full of people needing the same thing. It was also a bit of an inconvenience considering I had two connecting flights yet to catch. Thankfully I was not alone in that respect. There were 23 Raytheon employees on that same flight out of Denver. Huge relief!

While in line to speak to an agent we received the good news that a plane had been found, however, we were going to have to wait for a flight crew. This meant we would miss our connecting flight out of Los Angeles (bound for Auckland, NZ) by 30 minutes or so. Oh well, at least we were getting that far. We took off from Denver at 8:30pm. Minutes before touching down in Los Angeles the captain’s voice informed those of us with Raytheon Polar Services Company (RPSC) that Qantas Airlines was holding our plane for us in LA. I guess one could argue that since there were 23 of us that had seats on that plane, it made good sense for them to wait, but I got the feeling that it had much more to do with the influential power of Raytheon. I couldn’t decide if that was frightening or comforting. But then, we (RPSC) are their (Qantas) biggest customer. Quite honestly I was relieved, but I boarded the plane apologetically feeling awful for all of those who were forced to wait for our arrival. I took my seat next to a skydiver from Chicago who was on his way to NZ to work for the winter. During the safety talk he informed me we were safe if the plane went down because his parachute was right above us. I slept on and off for the next 12 ½ hours until we landed in Auckland.

There was one more flight from Auckland (NZ – North Island) to Christchurch (NZ – South Island). Looking out the windows on New Zealand below I was reminded of what an amazingly gorgeous and diverse country it is. Out one side of the plane I found the South Island’s west coast, where luscious green meets tranquil blue. The opposing window offered a view of rugged white capped mountains for as far as the eye could see. The two were mere miles apart from one another. I found it hard to believe that 4 years ago I had wandered across this striking landscape on the seat of my bicycle. Had I not been able to recall so well the sights, smells and sounds as I had experienced them from aboard my two-seated friend, I would have thought the feat impossible from my vantage point above.



Tags:

Comments are closed.