BootsnAll Travel Network



Untapped talent

From early morning to early evening, Radio One plays the same songs in a seemingly endless loop. The digital radio selection in Greater Tadley is no better (with the possible exception of One Xtra, but they keep blowing a foghorn and when I’m writing, I can’t do with any theme-sounds; they break my concentration).

Back in the days when I had my laptop, I got around the boredom by listening to NME Radio while compiling my reports, but recently, I have discovered the joy of mp3 downloads.

What took me so long? No loudspeakers on this computer is what took me so long! In fact, we had a pair of speakers lying around in the old hardware boxes for the past five years or so, but our last computer didn’t have a sound card. This one does. And my new Zaurus has media player software for all flavours of embedded Linux.

It’s time to experiment, and there is a wealth of great music out there. Channel Four alone lists demos from thousands of unsigned bands. There is no excuse for any more repetition; certainly not for a public service broadcaster. In fact, there is no need to ever listen to the same song twice. I dug the very first song I downloaded from the very first band I’d stumbled across: The Dead Beat Club (Black, Black Heart).

The downside is that I still need talk in the background, to give an illusion of human presence. So, come on Radio One…

Tags: , ,



Comments are closed.