BootsnAll Travel Network



Greenland: Jitters

I’m seriously getting the jitters about this trip. Sure, it is for less than two weeks, but it feels like a journey to the end of the Earth. I was only half-joking when I described Ilulissat to John: “I’ll be camping in a mosquito-infested swamp with 6000 slavering sledge dogs and the world’s biggest glacier up my arse…”

But I’m sure it will be fine. My tent is right for the conditions; provided the ground is soft enough to pitch it, I should be able to erect it in the dark and rain while it’s blowing a gale. There are thousands of huskies in that town, and they are restless because they haven’t been worked since May, and they may pick up the scent of a stranger and reckon it’s open season on them—but I’m not the only tourist there, and I’m sure the residents will look out for us.

There are no polar bears in that area of Greenland. That is a good thing!

As for the language: I’m dithering about buying a dictionary. I’m definitely not buying a phrase book. But over the last few days, I’ve been getting snippets of Danish back in my dreams. It is very exciting to remember a half-forgotten language. Now, I just mustn’t forget to look up the numbers up to 100, or it could get embarrassing.

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.