BootsnAll Travel Network



COR14 the never-ending Saga

Understand that ALL of my problems during these two months (yes, it will have been exactly two months by the time I’ll step on that plane) derive from the fact that the Palm m125 has no word processing software and keyboard drive in ROM. If it did, there would be no problems!

Yep, the saga ain’t over. Here’s what I wrote to BlueNomad support today:




I’ve been in touch before; I work with large files (travel writing) and it is not something that seems to be do-able on the Palm (m125). I use Wordsmith and have encountered numerous problems with it. The keyboard shortcuts (italic, bold etc.) don’t work which doesn’t matter because I lose all my formatting upon conversion to RTF anyway. (Why can’t WS save as RTF in the first place?) But that doesn’t bother me much–I’m prepared to work in text only format, even though it riles having paid for all the features on WS. However, I
have to work with large files.

For restoring the thing on the road, after the data are predictably lost during battery change, I rely on BackupBuddyVFS. I have tested it with a couple of hard-resets and it seemed fine. But today, five days before the start of a 3 month trip, it was time to change the batteries. Following that, backup stalled on one of my documents (not even 1000 words long).

I took the card out of the drive *ouch* and reformated it.

Enter my second card. I checked it to see that there was no other file with the same name on it anywhere else, just to be sure .

The same thing happened. I now have to try and restore this mess [from the desktop] and run a minimal backup without any files just to protect WS and the drive for my Logitech keyboard. Apparently, my files can only exist on the SD card and not be backed up from RAM. Restoring this thing isn’t straightforward either, hotsynching has to happen from my husband’s computer because I used LINUX until recently and my present machine doesn’t have the programs on it. It is a lot of hassle, but I shudder to think that I almost relied on BBVFS and took the thing travelling where there will be no hotsynching at all.

The thing has been frozen now for over 10 minutes. It cannot be cancelled, it cannot be switched off. Luckily soft-resetting has worked. But I’m having way to much trouble with this. It shouldn’t happen. What is wrong with this software??

Tags: ,



Comments are closed.